My name is doc, and I have a brewing problem . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochawk

Reaction score
It looks like being penned in may finally get me brewing again . . . (besides, I think there's only about 4 cases left in the refrigerator).

I started at this late in 1991. I'd talked about the notion before that, but chatting with a friend, he mentioned it. I picked up the (about to date myself! :eek:) yellow pages, drove across the valley, and a couple of hundred bucks later . . . for those of you that remember The Home Brewery, my order ended up on the next catalog as the "deluxe kit".

I kind of got carried away . . .

I jumped to a kegging system right away. While the rest of the club was club was trying to convince their wive, mine *ordered* me to buy one (and it cost less than the ER visit from the cheep green bottle someone tossed in with my longnecks . . ).

Switching to all grain was almost immediate.

Back then, the only decent beers in the grocery store here were Sierra Nevada and Guinness. Sam Adams arrived about that time, and the first microbrewery here hadn't opened yet (we now have a district for themo_O)

Anyway, both election and cost were an issue then.

As time went by, selection and my income changed, and it just wasn't as important.

When I showed up in Pennsylvania to teach, I found that I could order a pallet from an NY maltster--it cost about as much as the first three bags. I still have a lot of that grain, twenty years later . . .

I brew 15 gallon batches in a half barrel keg with the top sawed off, on top of the reinforced Cajun Cooker. I mash and spare in a 100 quart cooler.

Looking at it after a few years outdoors, well . . . A new one gets delivered Saturday. I kept the EZMasher, though. We'll see how old grain and hops kept airtight manage . . .

I'm not sure how many kegs I have. I think it's under 30, including the 2.5 and 10 gallon ones. I'll have to pick up rebuild kits with my yeast . . .

I haven't entered a beer in a contest since I won Best of Show in the 1993 Inland Empire contest.

The older folks here might recognizer me from rec.crafts.brewing (oops, dated myself again!)

Welcome to HBT!

Although quite a few things have changed (gotten better mostly) while you were away from brewing, the basic processes are still pretty much the same with a few modifications here and there.

A few highlights:
  • Much bigger selection and availability of ingredients
  • Secondaries are definitely out
  • We pay more attention to avoid oxidation
  • Starsan

• Secondaries are definitely out

slowpokes . . . I stopped using *primaries almost 25 years ago . . .

I was in grand school, and getting a day with a friend to help took a lot of doing. So we kind of had do do a year's worth in a day . . .

So simultaneously a 15 gallon back in the main system and 6 recirculating in the bru-heat system.

And as soon as sparge was done, a second mash began.

But the missing primary? Having read some 18th and 19th century recipes, I racked straight to kegs, and attached blowoff tubes to the gas lines for two days.

Carbonation comes out about right, and given the use of all-grain, bagged flower hops, and a wort-chiller, there is limited sediment--solved by blowing out just over a pint, after which it runs clear.

OK, if there are any purists I haven't offended yet . . .

:mischievous:

(but it seems I can only post five a day . . . how long does that last ???)

So lemme get this straight... you're saying, if i brew a batch, chill, pitch and throw it in a keg with blow off, 2 days of fermenting, then remove blow off, and let it start carbing...i could be drinking my beer WAY sooner??? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Funny, I did the yellow pages thing too. Didn't go quite as extreme on the equipment though. It was bottles. Had eight cases at one point.

Brew store had Red Star ale and lager yeast. The other choice was Edme ale yeast.

Young 'uns these days got no idea how good they have it.

All the Best,
D. White

So ...i could be drinking my beer WAY sooner??? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

It's not going to *ferment* faster, but it certainly saves you the labor--and finding time for the labor--for additional racking and carbonation.

what's left to ferment after two days is "about right" on carbonation.

the old recipes tend to call for placing caps on loosely, and sealing at two or three days.

It's not going to *ferment* faster, but it certainly saves you the labor--and finding time for the labor--for additional racking and carbonation.

what's left to ferment after two days is "about right" on carbonation.

the old recipes tend to call for placing caps on loosely, and sealing at two or three days.

Thank you! I'm excited to try this method.

we'll se if I'm able to use it again myself tomorrow . . . first, I have to rebuild some kegs. Tomorrow may actually use fermenters!

Back