My motorized malt mill...DONE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterVT

Reaction score
Thanks to a snow day I was able to finish my malt mill and get a brew under its belt. I love this thing. No longer will I need to hold a drill! It's just one more improvement that makes a brew day a bit smoother.

It works really well. The motor is 177 rpm that I bought from surpluscenter.com to power my barley crusher. I wasn't sure how to mount it until I did some searching. Thanks to rockytoptim for the simple mounting idea for the same exact motor! This motor is super secure and I'm pleased that I can start it with grain in the mill.

My first run was a little messy. I have since added a front door to capture floating particles. I also plan on adding some kind of cloth down spout, to further guide the malt into the bucket to minimize dust or use a larger bucket.

IMG_5466-1.JPG

a Lovejoy connect made aligning the different size shaft a cinch.
IMG_5472-1.JPG

Wired it up according to the wiring diagram included with the motor
IMG_5470-1.JPG

Room for a bigger bucket
IMG_5469-2.JPG

Man, that's deluxe. The door is a nice touch.

One day I'll get around to doing this. Last time doing a 10gal, fairly big IPA with my muscle-powered mill was rough.

Back