My milk crate 3 tier system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Milk crates are my friend! I know it's a little redneck but hey it works. Brewing a double header today with a buddy. about ready to chill porter, Short dinner break and on to Saison.

:tank:

Redneck_3tier.jpg

Be careful...

Years ago, I found out why not to use upside-down milk crates to support a glass carboy. The bottoms are SLICK! I wasn't hurt, but five gallons of beer with shards of glass everywhere. Granted, your mash tun isn't glass, but I still would fear that a too-vigorous stir would send it tumbling.

At the very least, I'd suggest using some shelf liner, rubber, or old carpet between the crate and the stuff on top of it.

I'm not seeing how you heat your mash and sparge with that system. The only heat I see is maybe the BK. I think your pulling our leg.

Be careful...

Years ago, I found out why not to use upside-down milk crates to support a glass carboy. The bottoms are SLICK! I wasn't hurt, but five gallons of beer with shards of glass everywhere. Granted, your mash tun isn't glass, but I still would fear that a too-vigorous stir would send it tumbling.

At the very least, I'd suggest using some shelf liner, rubber, or old carpet between the crate and the stuff on top of it.

Good suggestion on the rubber shelf liner, these milk crates are old and have a built up a bit of tooth to them from various uses over the years, but a bit extra grip would be nice.

Back