My MCAB experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igotworts

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just thought I'd share my experience as a rookie brewer, it might surprise or even encourage some...

I was fortunate enough to qualify for MCAB this past year, the beer that got me in was based on a Rogue Dead Guy recipe. I'm a huge Rogue fan but not so much of a Dead Guy fan, my brother on the other hand loves this beer and loves Double Dead Guy even more. Obviously sensing my confidence :rockin:-he challenged me to brew something "closer" to the double dead guy, but keeping it within the Maibock style guide lines.

This is where it gets interesting, I used 1056 and fermented at the lowest possible temp for 4 weeks, primary only. When I submitted this beer for MCAB it was 10mths old. I fully expected to get slaughtered by the judges, but thought it was worth the feedback either way. It scored 33 and 35 with one judge commenting on the possibility of the beer being "older". I was expecting much worse. :)

Lesson: Always submit whenever possible. Brew, analyze, adjust, repeat. :mug:

Latest posts

Back