My math can't be right.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatyboy

Reaction score
I just sampled my peach cider I'm making, it'd been in the fermentor for nearly a month. OG was 1.072 FG was .96

My math is telling me I'm looking at 14.7% ABV. Can that possibly be right? If so, I just basically made peach wine instead of cider huh?

Wine and cider are very close cousins (kissing cousins perhaps :eek:)...

Your math is a little off... Use this site to run the numbers: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php Gives 14.9% for your gravity readings.

Depending on the yeast you used, it could ferment more if you add sugars to attempt to back sweeten (unless you use non-fermentable sugars). You have two choices, use non-fermenting sugar to back sweeten, or stabilize the cider/wine and then back sweeten it.

I plan on splitting the batch into 3 1 gallon samples. One as regular hard cider (back sweetened with Splenda, so no more fermentation) the other, I plan on racking on Cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves for a peach cobbler taste and the third gallon I plan on making a sweet (Splenda) tea peach cider out of.

Sounds like you have it all covered already then... Post up the results once the splits are actually ready to go to glass. At over 14%, I'd give them the time needed to get rid of any hot flavors. I'd do that in bulk before splitting it off. That way you have a solid baseline for the additions.

I am interested in how the spice additions come out. I might end up doing something with spices in a traditional mead I started in December. The mead itself is extremely light in color and has not much flavor to it (mid-season honey harvest, so not much there to begin with).

I just sampled my peach cider I'm making, it'd been in the fermentor for nearly a month. OG was 1.072 FG was .96

My math is telling me I'm looking at 14.7% ABV. Can that possibly be right? If so, I just basically made peach wine instead of cider huh?

I think your math is okay, but you might wanna wear glasses when you read the hydrometer. :drunk:

Reading a hydrometer to three decimal places helps avoid mistakes. I'm guessing your final gravity is 0.996, not .96. That gives you 10% ABV.

I think your math is okay, but you might wanna wear glasses when you read the hydrometer. :drunk:

Reading a hydrometer to three decimal places helps avoid mistakes. I'm guessing your final gravity is 0.996, not .96. That gives you 10% ABV.

Yeah, you're right. It would seem I also need to get my brain checked too. I even wrote down .996 in my notes. But for some reason decided to ignore my notes and rely on memory when doing the math. Then forgot I wrote the FG in my notes. Worst part, haven't even drank today.... Which might be the root cause solution right there.

30 years old and already going brain dead...

Back