My local Brewery is AWESOME!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
So I contacted the owner of the only brewery near me recently and inquired into whether they would be willing to sell me ingredients on the cheap since they buy in bulk. Not only did she tell me they would be happy to sell me ingredients for cheap, but they would give me yeast for free if I brought a clean container! How awesome is that? This helps greatly considering that I have to pay $10 in shipping alone every time I order my stuff online.

nice!

Do you know what sort of yeast they use?

It is Lazy Magnolia Brewing out of Kiln, Mississippi. Go to the website and read about their history- husband and wife that got a brew kit for Christmas one year and just kept going from there!

That's awesome, let us know how it goes. I'm in Slidell and that is real close to me.

It is Lazy Magnolia Brewing out of Kiln, Mississippi. Go to the website and read about their history- husband and wife that got a brew kit for Christmas one year and just kept going from there!

:rockin:

I love lazy magnolia. My buddy grew up down the street from the husband and wife and they used to throw parties with tons of their beer. I hope they start getting a little bigger and I can get them up here in Memphis, I have to go visit my girlfriend in Oxford to get any of their beer now. And I'm gonna have to take a spin to Kiln next time I go back to Picayune with my gf and take a tour of their brewery.

Wow, that's really cool!

I wonder if this is common, because I'm also lucky enough to have a small brewery/restaurant nearby (Barely Creek Brewery). I've never thought of inquiring about purchasing ingredients; I'll have to look into that.

As soon as i saw Biloxi in your info, I knew it had to be Lazy Magnolia. Great to hear that they remember what its like to be a homebrewer!

I heard the Savor Salon via Craft Beer Radio podcast (check it out). Would love to try their beers.

Yeah getting yeast doesn't seem to be a problem. One of my club members got yeast by the growler from our local brewery. Needless to say we all saved some money on our next few brews. I never thought about asking to purchase ingredients. I'll have to inquire about that.

Cool, I will be drinking a Lazy Magnolia beer at the Great British Beer Festival in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it!

Yeah, they didn't even hestitate and said they want to support their local homebrewers. Shot me a list of stuff they have on hand. Hops price wasn't anything super, but they will sell me 50 and 55 lb bags of grain and they had about 10-20 different types. I can pick up a 55 lb of 2 row for $40 and a 55 lb bag of Maris Otter for $40 as well! Some may be able to beat those prices but considering I have to order everything, the cheapest I have found online with shipping for 2 row came out to be around $65-70. That is why I love this hobby so much- everyone wants to help everyone.

:rockin:

I love lazy magnolia. My buddy grew up down the street from the husband and wife and they used to throw parties with tons of their beer. I hope they start getting a little bigger and I can get them up here in Memphis, I have to go visit my girlfriend in Oxford to get any of their beer now. And I'm gonna have to take a spin to Kiln next time I go back to Picayune with my gf and take a tour of their brewery.

I was just in Nashville this past weekend and got some of the Southern Pecan at Flying Saucer.

And to the OP, thats awesome! Anytime you can save by not having stuff shipped is great. I think shipping costs were about 30% of my budget in building my brewery. Now they are not just your local brewery but your LHBS too!

xsists said:
I was just in Nashville this past weekend and got some of the Southern Pecan at Flying Saucer.

And to the OP, thats awesome! Anytime you can save by not having stuff shipped is great. I think shipping costs were about 30% of my budget in building my brewery. Now they are not just your local brewery but your LHBS too!

The reb ale they sell only in oxford is probably my favorite beer they make. They started making it right as I turned 21 and was going to school in oxford. Which reminds me that I need to buy some when I'm in oxford this weekend.

I finally got around to asking about this at my local brewery. Unfortunately, he said they don't really sell ingredients or yeast to home brewers.

On the bright side however, they recently stopped bottling their beer (it sells too quick at the restaurant/pub to continue distributing it to local stores) so they have hundreds of cases of empty bottles. He agreed to sell them to me for $9 a case plus free bottle caps (he gave me like 300 caps when I bought 2 cases). Not as good as free, but a good few dollars less than my LHBS, and it saved me a 40 minute drive.

While I was there I also tasted a few of their beers on tap and bought a growler of their "Navigator Golden Ale". Not my favorite, but the bartender told me the "Traveler Foreign Stout" would lose carbonation too quick in the growler.

One other upside to this whole thing is I discovered there's another *craft* brewery nearby that brews much more interesting beers (cask conditioned, aged, etc), so I'll have to check in there too.

:D

Lazy Mag is the shizzz.... They always bring "One Off" Firkens to my favorite Brew/Pub...The Keg and Barrel (Voted top 100 Brew Pubs in the Nation--which is amazing since Mississippi has a 6.0%ABV Law)

Back