My LHBS doesn't give a $#!t ! New recommendation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers said:
Not... sure.... what ..... you ...... mean. :confused:

:mug:

Well I was always tought that its socially accpetable to drink after lunch/noon. Is that just a kiwi thing? Or do u drink in the morning all the time, with no social stigma attached? O well... :tank: :D

Wow horrible story about your lhbs store. The only homebrew shop I go to (I wouldn't call it local 90 miles away) has 3 owners and they are the only ones that ever work there. I think this is the only way to do it for a business like a homebrew shop. You can't expect an employee to be all that helpful unless you are lucky enough to find one that is into the hobby. That being said it is still no excuse for being rude or mean to a customer, but not helpful is understandable if it is someone that is just kinda paid to watch the shop. My lhbs is only open 8 hrs a day 5 days a week, and even if they had to cut it to 4 days or close completley for a vacation or something it would still be better than hiring someone that doesn't know what they are talking about because you know if you go in there you can always get good advice.

Drunkensatyr said:
Thank Goodness we have 2 GREAT LHBS in Dallas.

I go to Homebrew Headquarters, what's the second one? I agree, though. I've never had a problem with them. They're all knowledgable, helpful, and friendly.

JeanLucD said:
Well I was always tought that its socially accpetable to drink after lunch/noon. Is that just a kiwi thing? Or do u drink in the morning all the time, with no social stigma attached? O well... :tank:

Ah, just pulling your leg, mate. I never drink in the morning unless I haven't stopped since last evening. :drunk: If anything, I hear you southerners are more hardcore than anything a frozen Canuck can muster up. We're more known for growing tropical plants indoors. What's with that anyway?

You need to hook up with dibby (aussie) for a couple. Hell, I need to hook up with dibby for a couple. He sounds like a force of nature when he drinks beer. :D The man has stamina. :mug:

shlap said:
Wow, I can't believe businesses can stay in business with employees like that. This post really makes me appreciate my LHBS here in Phoenix. I just go in, give them my recipe, and they measure and crush the grains on the spot. They're always happy to answer questions and shoot the ****.

Just out of curiosity, which LHBS is yours? What Ale's ya, or, Brewer's Connection?

My LHBS let's me weigh my own grain. Even pays me to do so. I even get to run the cash register, for my own purchases, but I don't usually do so, unless I'm the only guy there. The owner also presents me with a paycheck every so often.

Oh, if ANYONE has a problem with the greater Phoenix LHBSs, let me know! Chuck (What Ale's ya) is a friend of the boss, and the owner of Brewers Connection IS the boss.:D (The guy in Mesa, well, the less said, the better.)

steve

Fingers said:
Ah, just pulling your leg, mate. I never drink in the morning unless I haven't stopped since last evening. :drunk: If anything, I hear you southerners are more hardcore than anything a frozen Canuck can muster up. We're more known for growing tropical plants indoors. What's with that anyway?

You need to hook up with dibby (aussie) for a couple. Hell, I need to hook up with dibby for a couple. He sounds like a force of nature when he drinks beer. :D The man has stamina. :mug:

Hehe, yea I guess us people down under are pretty good drinkers, I hear that Yanks, and u Canucks can't really hold your liquor, :D - I guess u guys can't help it cos of all that pissy weak beer, which I can see is probably why u homebrew. We seem to start pretty young here too, I'm only 17 - 8months away from my 18th, which I am REALLY looking foward to, cos then I can legally drink, but that's another topic entirely. This dibby character sounds like someone I would like.
Growing topical plants indoors? Hmmm, I feel bad that I never knew that, one quick question - you guys use metric dont ya?

Anway back onto topic, sheesh... actually I have nothing to say that is on topic, haha.

JeanLucD said:
Hehe, yea I guess us people down under are pretty good drinkers, I hear that Yanks, and u Canucks can't really hold your liquor, :D - I guess u guys can't help it cos of all that pissy weak beer, which I can see is probably why u homebrew. We seem to start pretty young here too, I'm only 17 - 8months away from my 18th, which I am REALLY looking foward to, cos then I can legally drink, but that's another topic entirely. This dibby character sounds like someone I would like.
Growing topical plants indoors? Hmmm, I feel bad that I never knew that, one quick question - you guys use metric dont ya?

Anway back onto topic, sheesh... actually I have nothing to say that is on topic, haha.

You're 17 and you're talking about whether WE can hold our liquor? What the hell else do you think a Canadian does from October until May? (Other than indoor tropical horticulture) Our local beers are usually 5% ABV and our lights are 4 - 4.5%. There are some stronger but I can't think of any that are weaker. Besides, alcohol content of regional draughts are hardly indicative of a country's ability to 'hold' their liquor. I find that quality generally manifests with age and experience.

True true, give me a couple years then, :D though I have a feeling my liver is quite efficient... nonetheless I sorta did forget about the cold Canadian winters, which would obviously lead to some good heavy drinkin, (makes me think of the ruskies). I must also admit that I'm so used to talking to Yanks on forums like these that I forget how much more advanced u canucks are (no offense to u seppos), its the Americans who have the pissy beer, and Canadians have respectable beer! *I blame it being holidays, my brain isn't functioning right :cross:. Culturally it seems that Canada and New Zealand are quite similar. Whereas the US and Aus share more similarities. There is also a similar rivalry between New Zealanders and Aussies, and Canadians and Americans - Australia and American being sorta like the 'big brother' of New Zealand and Canada.

I must say, I would really like to find out properly how much I could handle, but I seem to be too sensible, or run out of booze first, to find out.

JeanLucD said:
I must also admit that I'm so used to talking to Yanks on forums like these that I forget how much more advanced u canucks are (no offense to u seppos), its the Americans who have the pissy beer, and Canadians have respectable beer!
Yes we still have too much “piss beer”, but what most people don't realize is that America is having a huge beer revolution. We have gone from 44 breweries making “piss” in the late 70’s to something like 1600 today making every style you can imagine. Few people know that traditional beer places like Germany and the UK are rapidly losing breweries. There is an amazing amount of innovation and development going on in America while at the same time we are somewhat of a “beer ark” (a term coined by Charlie P) for traditional beers. I can personally vouch that traditional ales are falling under the weight of the light lager in the UK. I also just read somewhere how many German styles like oktoberfest and helles have been changing to be more of a light lager. Dare I say you can get more traditional beer in the USA than may of the places they were invented? While the world makes fun of American beer, we are quietly making some of the best beers in the world and I think a lot of the credit goes to the homebrew community.

PS- Mr. 17 year old…good bye.

fifelee said:
PS- Mr. 17 year old…good bye.

I don't understand... If u r saying this because of the illegality of 17 year olds brewing - thats in your country. For me it's legal as can be. Anyway, it's good to hear about this beerevolution (I think it works quite nicely?) I must admit that while NZ isn't so bad in terms of beer, it really isn't so fantastic... I think we are just slowly making progress, hurrying slowly...

I hope I'm not stirring **** or anything... just explaining what this little kiwi kid sees, please change my perceptions :mug:. I always like to learn new things, just maybe not too much, I need some brain space left for university. :D

I could definetly see how the homebrew community could be having such an effect, cos u guys are bloody great.

I don't have a problem with you hanging out if you're legal in your country, but while it's one thing talking about bad beer (we all have them), it's quite another to accuse a nation of people of not being able to hold their liquor. It's quite insulting, especially so coming from someone who has little experience with it. You seem well spoken so I don't think you intentionally meant to insult people, but you should be aware that many will take offense at that comment. I know I did.

As far as beer goes, it really lies with how you spend your money. There is a lot of bad beer everywhere, but it doesn't take too much searching to find some good stuff. You just have to pay a little more. Well, that or make it yourself. I think I know where we all stand.

By the way, America has beer that is much weaker than Canadian beer, but they have rum, vodka, and spirits that are so strong, they are illegal for sale here.

Fingers said:

Will join you for a beer sometime... not this weekend (on call) but the next one :D

Fingers said:
... You seem well spoken so I don't think you intentionally meant to insult people, but you should be aware that many will take offense at that comment. I know I did....

By the way, America has beer that is much weaker than Canadian beer, but they have rum, vodka, and spirits that are so strong, they are illegal for sale here.

Thanks for understanding, and sorry for offending you, I guess it was said somewhat in jest, but it sure is difficult sometimes to put across tone in text :eek:. Wow you definetly learn something new everyday, didn't know that about the sale of spirits in Canada, its funny, there really are just about no restrictions with alcohol in New Zealand, I mean it's legal to buy Absinthe and it's stocked in pretty common sort of liquor shops... wouldn't mind trying some too, I hear it is quite deadly, often being 80%+ and all.

Oh, looky here ===> :ban: its a dancing banana!! Lol, thought I'd put in a bit of sillyness. :)

BLAME CANADA... BLAME CANADA... :D

I couldn't resist.

I agree that every country has good and bad beers. I have to keep explaining to my friends that the commercials should say, "Foster's. Australian for PISS."

:off: ALERT
As far as absinthe goes, save your money. Buy some Bacardi 151 rum and call it a day. Absinthe is nothing but high alcohol spirits. That's it. The hallucinogenic properties which were reported in the late 19th century (and the cause of it being banned in most countries) have nothing to do with wormwood as was thought at the time. They were caused by less reputable producers adding copper sulfate to their absinthe to get the green color that Pernod got from using high-end ingredients. They were poisoning people to produce it cheaper. In their defense, they probably didn't know that copper sulfate was poisonous at the time.

Yuri_Rage said:
The results are in: STRIKE 3!!! I will no longer support my LHBS.

I still don't know what they're going to charge me for the 2-row, and I almost don't care. To quote the HBS folks: "We can get ANYTHING in just a few days." I placed my order last Friday. It's still not available for pickup. It won't be available for pickup until, "sometime next week."
It's now easily past "sometime next week." I just called the HBS again, and they "still haven't heard anything" about my order coming in. I canceled the order and hung up the phone before I let loose with how I feel about their service. Guess I'm not brewing this weekend either. I'm placing an online order with AHS for next week.

:off: ALERT As far as absinthe goes said:
That is true, but there is more to the so called hallucinogenic properties of absynth than that. The French wine industry intentionally spread rumors of absynth being a dangerous hallucinagent because they were losing their market share to absynth.

Back