My Kenmore 15 cu ft Chest Freezer To Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPORT546

Reaction score
And here is another Keezer conversion. I wanted to post this because I only found one other conversion of this specific freezer. I picked this up off of craigs list for a cool $100. It will easily hold 8 cornies on the floor with room for two more on the hump. I have not tried to fit my 20lb tank in there on the floor with the cornies as its all torn apart and I just picked up the tank.

I am starting with four taps because of budget restrictions but plan on adding more down the road to six taps with atleast one nitro. There will be plenty of room for cold crashing and even possibly doubling as a fermentation chamber.

So far here is what I have done:

1. Pulled the lid and removed the inner insulation to get at the back side of the handle, saving the weather stripping for later.
2. Removed the crappy looking handle and bondo'd the holes.
3. Sanded and painted the freezer with black Krylon Appliance Epoxy.
4. Cut and drilled 1x4 oak for the collar. I went with 1x4 for two reasons. First I dont need the room I plan on keeping bottled beer on the hump and in the basket. Secondly I wanted to attach the collar to the lid so this will keep the weight down on the hinges.
5. Stained with Zar Moorish Teak and Polyurethaned all six sidesto keep out moisture.
6. Assembled the collar and used liquid nail to attatch lid to collar.

And thats where I'm as of this evening, more to follow.

Here are some pics because that is what is important when reading a thread like this.

164.jpg

168.jpg

172.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

Here is a picture of the lid getting liquid nailed to collar weighted down with the most abundant "weight" I had laying around.

176.jpg

I'm beyond jealous! Nicely done!! Dwarfs my 4 keg kegerator. I've been trolling Craiglist looking for one of these, but am having a hard time finding one that'll fit down the odd cruve to my basement stairs. Keep us updated once you get her up an running.

I'm most likely going to buy a 14 cu ft. freezer this weekend. I'm glad you posted this. Definitely large enough for my plans!!

I'm beyond jealous! Nicely done!! Dwarfs my 4 keg kegerator. I've been trolling Craiglist looking for one of these, but am having a hard time finding one that'll fit down the odd cruve to my basement stairs. Keep us updated once you get her up an running.

I found this after a good month of looking on CL. I dont have a funky curve but this was the largest one I could get into the basement due to the size of the door, luckily its a ground level walk out.

Very nice! I have a 4 tap kegerator right now, built out of a standard refrigerator. I'd like to upgrade to a keezer style. Biggest one I can find. I'd like to have a minimum of 8 taps.

Here is what I got done last night and this morning. It is up and running and full of bottles at the moment. I still need to finish painting the lid. I am going to go with chalboard paint so that I can label the taps easily as I change out brews.

7. Cut and installed 1" polystyrene foam board.
8. Mounted the gas diverter and shafts.
9. Installed the hinges to the collar.
10. Ran the gas and beer lines.
11. installed the Faucets

DSCF0491.jpg

DSCF0495.jpg

DSCF0496.jpg

DSCF0497.jpg

I've been a little busy over the last month at work but now I'm essentially done with the keezer. The lid is finished and the chalkboard paint is on. Now to get to brewing and fill'er up. Her are a couple pictures of the finished project.

DSCF0578.jpg

DSCF0577.jpg

Hi

I'm in the middle of doing a coffin tower on the same freezer. One hint - don't clamp anything over the nicely painted gasket unless you want to touch it up afterwords ...

Even without the collar you can fit six 1/6 bbl commercial kegs in there.

Bob

Nice build, we have similar tastes. My build used the same freezer, painted the same black, same wood type, stained the same color. Haven't posted it yet though.

Latest posts

Back