My Irish red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know why it's so dark . It came out to 22.32 srm. 22 doesnt seem like it would be that dark .

8# pale ale
1# crystal 120
2# crystal 30
.5# carapils
.25# roasted barley

Mash 154 for 60min
Boil for 60 min

I dont know why it's so dark . It came out to 22.32 srm. 22 doesnt seem like it would be that dark .

8# pale ale
1# crystal 120
2# crystal 30
.5# carapils
.25# roasted barley

Mash 154 for 60min
Boil for 60 min

add the roasted barley while you sparge. that's what i do i get some of the color not all and it ends up more red without that bitter malt flavor.

thinking about it. 22 would be dark 16 would give you a nice red color any more than that you end up with brown or a brown with a hint of red.

Seems like a lot of crystal. Maybe drop those a bit and replace the mass with base malt? Consider maris otter or something similar which will add more character than 2-row.

I hadn't even thought of adding barley during sparge .

i had a super red ale i made with kolsch yeast. it was 6# Munich and 6# red x then i used 3oz of roasted barley. i added that in after my first running's it was great. it goes a very long way for color and flavor so you have to be careful of when you add and how long it mashes for.

Golden promise or Maris otter would be great for adding flavor without changing up the beer too much. even Munich malt would help with color and flavor.

The taste is good . Nice and malty . I made it a tad on the bitter side @30 IBU . It's very deep and rich. Just not happy with color . Taking notes for next time

Saying “too much crystal malt!” is kind of a thing around here, and I like crystal malt... but this recipe has nearly 30% crystal in the bill! That is 3x the maximum it should ever be. The dark crystal, especially, will be roasty, and probably not what you want at all.

See if you can limit crystal to 10% or less of the grain bill. And go easy on that C120.

8# pale ale
1# crystal 120
The 1 lb. of C120 will do that to you. 4oz. would have probably been a better amount. The prettiest IR I've ever seen came in at 15 SRM. I can't remember the guys name but it was 'something' Leonard.

Well I'm scraping this recipe . I dont like it . Tasted at first and thought it was good but I had another one and I'm just not digging the overly roasted flavor .

The 1 lb. of C120 will do that to you. 4oz. would have probably been a better amount. The prettiest IR I've ever seen came in at 15 SRM. I can't remember the guys name but it was 'something' Leonard.

Yeah just talked to my Aunt . She said same thing all you guys said . Way too much crystal .

i agree, beers around 15 SRM are very very cool.

20190330_183303.jpg
Here I'm begging for it to lighten up . This is in the sunlight coming through my security screen . This bad boy is dark .

Maris Otter - 91%
Crystal 40 - 3%
Crystal 120 - 3%
Roasted Barley - 3%

as described in Brewing Classic Styles

Interesting. Did you use the 300L Roasted Barley as specified? Brewing that recipe is somewhere on my wish list, but maybe I should knock off 2 oz of Roasted Barley.

Interesting. Did you use the 300L Roasted Barley as specified? Brewing that recipe is somewhere on my wish list, but maybe I should knock off 2 oz of Roasted Barley.
I did the proportions as set out in the recipe. It did well in an internal club competition. I have it in a state competition -- for the appearance, I reckon it will lose a point.

I also recently brewed the Irish red listed in BCS, and mine came out way too dark as well. Flavor was spot on, but it definitely had the appearance of a brown ale.

3% roasted barley seems like a lot for an Irish red, but then I've never used 300L roasted barley - mine's 450 to 600L (I think that's more normal). I use about 1.8%, which gives a nice red colour and a hint of roast in the finish.

Edit: Also about 3% each of a mid and dark crystal malt.

To get less opaque red

1) choose dark roast (roasting process is what gives you the red color and also the roasted flavor should be there, just do not use too much (between 1% and 2% of 500-600L is fine, 1% is mainly for color and more than 2% can make the roasted flavor and color excessive depending on taste, though). In Ireland and surroundings they barely know such thing as 300L roast, everything they do is ~500+L
2) do not use excessive amount of crystal, especially dark crystal as it makes your beer deep brown masking the red
3) avoid haze that immediately makes it opaque, you could lager or use kettle / fermenter finings and improve the process
4) do not make it too strong (people do this all the time and complain about the result), it is a light ale style and too dense wort is deeper in color than a light wort
5) not many 'Irish reds' are strikingly red, many beers in this category are just reddish brown, some are just brown and some are rather dark depending on the exact grain bill. It could be a nice drink even if not so red. You just need a little bit of roasted character or it is going to be one more bitter without adequate hops..

Basically, you could do it with Maris Otter base + 600L roasted barley, but you can add a little bit (3-6%) of crystal to increase body or 5% wheat to increase head (something that is not typical traditionally but could be nice looking, though). Something like Simpsons red rye crystal worked pretty well here but you must be very careful with the amount cause the color is provided mainly by roasted barley and using too much deep crystal will make it darker, as already said.

Last edited:
22 SRM is dark ruby, bordering on brown. For Irish Reds, you want to hit anything between 12 and 15, which will gets you closer to a red colour.

For what it's worth (and I generally think: not much) BJCP-2015 says: 9-14 SRM

EDIT: BJCP 2008 said: 9-18 SRM

Last edited:
Mine's real dark -- it's the BCS recipe so not sure why it is so dark. Tastes good though. View attachment 619994

I brewed that in time for St. Patty's Day and had the same results. Way too dark. Tastes ok, but doesn't look or taste the way I wanted it to. Glad I'm not the only one who had those results so I know I didn't screw up somewhere.

I have used RedX malt in a couple of mine. It gave a pretty good red color. Mine were probably not very traditional - I used no roasted barley in either of those.

I brewed that in time for St. Patty's Day and had the same results. Way too dark. Tastes ok, but doesn't look or taste the way I wanted it to. Glad I'm not the only one who had those results so I know I didn't screw up somewhere.
It did real good in my club competition. It's being judged right now in a state competition -- I'll let you know how it does.

Heres what my latest IRA recipe looks like. I actually prefer mine a bit roastier than i think the style calls for.
Recently scored a 31 in competition
Was marked down for too dark, too roasty.
It is pretty dark at 18srm...may tone it down a notch.

Attachments

• Capture+_2019-05-07-12-43-38.png
    Capture+_2019-05-07-12-43-38.png
    366.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Capture+_2019-05-07-12-44-18.png
    Capture+_2019-05-07-12-44-18.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 44
  • FB_IMG_1555352655081.jpg
    FB_IMG_1555352655081.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 43
Heres what my latest IRA recipe looks like. I actually prefer mine a bit roastier than i think the style calls for.
Recently scored a 31 in competition
Was marked down for too dark, too roasty.
It is pretty dark at 18srm...may tone it down a notch.

Looks good to me. I like a bit of roast at the end of an Irish Red.

Back