My IPAs have no "hop bite"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would second trying to get the FG down a bit. The drier the beer the more likely the hop bite is to make itself better known. I try to use mostly fermentables in my brews if I can help it. There are obviously exceptions, but I try. I would also try to formulate a water table that is a bit higher in sulfates. I dont usually mess with the water tables here in Northern California because they are pretty well balanced already to the low end of most, if not all,minerals.

I don't know if it's been said (because there's 5 pages and I don't have time to read them all right now) but you have a lot of hops going in outside of the 20 minute mark. I thought after the 20 minute mark that any hops added would go to aroma and flavor. Maybe try leaving out some of the hops put in up front and try hopping at various times near the end of the boil.

I've been seeing that 30 minutes& less is flavor & aroma. 20-25 minutes or less for a tad less bittering from the hops. That's my experience.

Since you're using extract try using distilled water not spring. You could also contact the extract company and see what the water profile is, then you'll know what, if any, adjustments to make.

I used natural spring water in my ales before. They came out better than with tap water. Distilled has nothing in it at all,which can be good. But spring water (not to be confused with well,or "ground" water) has some minerals in it that are good for the yeast (trace elements).

Latest posts

Back