My Infection NIGHTMARE :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeard

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I come to you in the darkest hour of my brewing career. I've brewed about 10 or so batches so far without any major hitches, aside from overcarbonation. But in the past two weeks, I've lost TWO different 5gal batches to infection - I THINK it's lactobacillus. I don't know what to do aside from throw away all my plastics, airlocks, and start over.

Here's what happened in chronological order:

WARNING: The saga is long, and involves three beers - an apricot/peach wheat, a Berliner weisse, and a saison.

7/21/13:
Brewed 5 gallons of wheat beer, cooled, poured wort into a new plastic fermentation bucket, & added a nice 1L Kolsch yeast starter.

7/27/13:
Brewed a Berliner weisse. Chilled, poured wort into a 6.5 gallon glass and pitched 2 vials of White Labs lactobacillus.

A couple hours later in the day, I took 6 lbs total of peaches/apricots, blanched them (~40 sec in boiling water followed by ~1 min in ice water), peeled the skins off, chopped them up, and froze them in tupperware containers overnight.

The following day...
7/28/13:
I took the tupperware containers out, allowed the peaches/apricots to thaw, and then added them directly to the original wheat beer in the plastic bucket.

Glancing at the Berliner weisse, I saw what I assumed was the formation of a lactobacillus pellicle - so I was excited that my intentional infection appeared to be working. (See first picture)

7/29/13:
After giving the lactobacillus in the weisse a head start in souring the beer, I added 1 vial of White Labs European ale yeast (no starter).

At this point, I don't notice any airlock activity in the apricot/peach wheat beer - even though the fruit is clearly in there. This has me worried, but I press on.

8/4/13:
I rack the apricot/peach wheat beer to a secondary 5gal glass container. There are what I thought were yeast rafts clinging to the fruit in some parts. I discard the fruit and secondary fermentation commences.

I leave the Berliner weisse alone - although I never was certain whether the European ale yeast took off.

8/9/13:

Checked the apricot/peach wheat beer in the secondary. Very clearly infected (see second picture), even though at NO POINT did it come into contact with anything that touched the Berliner weisse (which I never removed from the primary fermenter anyway). My suspicion was the fruit - as I did not really pasteurize it... (although I did boil the whole fruits for the blanching, and followed that up with freezing overnight).

At this point, the apricot/peach wheat has a more brilliant pellicle than my Berliner weisse! (See third image: this is what the Weisse looked like at this point, and still looks like today to be honest).

8/10/13:

I bleached the living hell out of both my plastic fermentation bucket and my plastic bottling bucket for good measure. I also bleached the fermentation bucket's lid & airlock, assuming that everything that came into contact with the peach beer was infected. I diluted 3 cups of the concentrated Chlorox bleach in 6 gallons of hot water, per the instructions, and let it soak overnight.

8/11/13:

The next day, I rinsed the bajeebus out of both buckets, lid & airlock, then soaked them in oxyclean, then rinsed several times again, then soaked in star san, then rinsed again, and when I was satisfied that the bleachy smell was gone for good, I soaked the buckets in star san again.

Determined to press on with my brewing, I brewed a saison the same day, cooled it down, poured it back and forth between both sanitized buckets to oxygenate, put the saison in the plastic fermentation bucket, and pitched a robust & healthy 1L Wyeast 3711 starter. I was sure that nothing could survive the overnight bleaching and repeated rinses & sanitizations, and felt I was safe.

8/12/13:

The following day I was alarmed to see no airlock activity, but realized that the bucket lid was slightly ajar, but not so much that I would worry about stuff getting in. I could make out a nice thick kreusen, and not long after I properly closed the lid, airlock activity was evident.

8/14/13:

Well, as primary fermentation was winding down, to kick up the abv and dry out my saison, I pitched 1 lb of dissolved, boiled, cooled cane sugar. As I opened the lid of the bucket to pitch the sugar in, I noticed that in addition to the kreusen, a white milky layer was starting to form on top, looking much like image #1 (the Berliner weisse).

COULD IT BE THAT MY ARCH NEMESIS LACTOBACILLUS HAS RETURNED?!

How is this even possible? I bleached the snot out of my buckets after my apricot/peach wheat beer infection, and at NO point did either beer come into contact with ANYTHING that touched my Berliner weisse.

My best theory is that the infection of the apricot/peach wheat came from the fruit themselves, and somehow the lactobacillus in the fruit was able to survive in the plastic or rubber stopper/airlock despite my extensive bleaching.

Irrespective of how it happened, I'm now deeply saddened and too paranoid/traumatized to brew, or bottle my barleywine/imperial stout (which are both still in secondary fermenters and appear to be perfectly fine - a little more bulk aging certainly won't hurt).

So, for the kind few of you who managed to read through all of that, how do you think did my saison got infected despite all the precautions I took, and what do you think I should do at this point?

My diagnosis is to just throw away all my plastic material, or just reserve it for my Berliner weisse when it comes time to transfer/ bottle.

Just so majorly bummed that I had to lose 2 batches (so far) before learning this lesson.

BerlinerD2.jpg

Peachwheat.jpg

Berliner_W2.jpg

Are you sure no tools are getting in there that aren't properly sanitized? Airlock? Spoons? Anything that can be a common denominator to it all?

I wear gloves And have a spray bottle of starsan that I am always spraying my hands and everything I touch.

I hope your nightmare gets better!!

Image 1 and 3 do not necessarily look like infections to me.

What happened to the apricot wheat? Have you tasted it along the way?

Haven't tasted the apricot wheat (middle picture). I'm tempted to because the idea of a sour peach/apricot American wheat beer sounds yummy, but my SWMBO thinks whatever is in it could kill me.

Didn't use any instruments or anything other than my own two hands with the Berliner Weisse after pitching the lacto. I haven't been doing the gloves/starsan spray method yet, but going forward I definitely will.

Images 1 and 3 are the Berliner weisse, so (ironically) they SHOULD indeed be quite infected. And I did replace the airlock on the Berliner weisse at one point... and it certianly smelled foul so for sure the lactobacillus is doing its job.

What about what you used to transfer the apricot wheat? Did you bleach that as well? If you used a racking cane on the apricot wheat, and used it on the saison as well, you may not have cleaned it thoroughly enough.

It does seem like you're being a little over dramatic though. I wouldn't call it a nightmare or a saga. Just ride it out. Let them sit for a while, and maybe you'll end up with some nice sour beers. I definitely wouldn't go out and buy all new equipment yet. Just take everything you have and clean it very thoroughly.

I never bleached the racking cane / tubing that I used to transfer the apricot/peach wheat, but I also haven't used it for anything since. Didn't use it for the saison, I just poured the saison from the chilled boil kettle into the fermenter.

Yeah... I am going to ride out the saison for sure, but I'm probably going to dump the apricot/peach wheat beer... as sad as it makes me. I don't know how that beer got infected in the first place, I want to say it was the peaches but I blanched and then froze them, so it doesn't make any sense.

The middle looks like lacto while the first and last look like yeast. Your SWMBO is wrong. Beer, especially hopped beer, is a pretty inhospitable environment for most microbes. I'm going to repeat the oft repeated, "There are no known pathogens that grow in beer." Taste your beer -- it's the best way to know what's going on.

I would bet it was from letting them thaw. Probably would have been best to just throw them straight in the fermenter, or even give them a quick dip in starsan.

Just a thought (and don't take this the wrong way):

Are you sure you pitched the right yeast into the right beer? This would not be the first time someone grabbed one of two vials without double checking and added their hef yeast to their APA only to find out they had American ale yeast leftover when it was time to pitch for the hef.

It would explain the lack of visual evidence on the lacto beer and the lacto on the non-lacto beer. (I know you said it smelled infected, but sometimes it is hard to get a good whiff when there is CO2 in it.)

Again, just a thought. If you DID double check and you're SURE you pitched the right one, disregard this post

I am a million percent positive, as both the wheat and saison yeasts came in a wyeast packet, and I made a starter for both, and the Berliner weisse lacto & European ale yeast came in White lab vials that I just chucked into the fermenter without making a starter. And the Berliner weisse glass carboy was in a different area of the house from the apricot/peach beer, which was in a plastic bucket - there's NO way I mixed the two up.

Also, do images 1 & 3 (particularly 1) not look like lactobacillus to you guys? What else would make a milky white film like that? When image 1 was taken, no yeast was pitched at that point, just lactobacillus.

3 certainly just looks like offgassing and yeast rafts. One does have that middle white section, but it's hard to tell what it is. The rest in 1 just looks like foam.

should my berliner weisse be forming a pellicle like I see in #2 at some point?

I have read that commercial lacto does not behave like grain cultured lacto (which is what I've dealt with and what looks like is in your second picture). I have read various brewers finding that lacto from White Labs or Wyeast (depending who you ask) doesn't produce enough sourness and sometimes does not produce a pellicle.

And you might see something different than I do when I look at the first and last picture since you've seen it in person, but it looks like pretty run-of-the-mill yeast fermentation to me.

While cleaning a fermenter bucket out the other day, on a whim I removed the grommet from the lid. Ewwww. There was some nasty buildup there. I havent had any infections in that bucket, but can see bugs hiding there. Is it possible that it piggybacked from there and hopped a ride on the krausen as it fell. How vigorous were your fermentations?

OK, so I gave my whole situation a lot of thought yesterday, and I'm starting to think that I'm an idiot for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not 100% sure, but there is a chance that I may have switched stoppers from the Berliner weisse carboy to the apricot/peach wheat secondary - which could explain that infection. I'm pretty sure I washed/sanitized the stopper, but this is likely not enough, right? This would mean the lacto infection did indeed come from the Berliner weisse and not the fruit.

2. I definitely overreacted to the saison 'infection'. I took a peek at it this morning (I know, I shouldn't open the bucket too often), and it looked just fine - normal yeast rafts. I don't know how to explain the milky white layer that I saw two days ago floating on top (ie: like in picture #1), but perhaps it was just yeast.

Or, is it possible that a lactobacillus infection was indeed about to start, but the yeast simply overpowered it? Does this ever happen?

3. I also smelled both the Berliner weisse this morning - it still smelled like ass, which I'm assuming means the lactobacillus are in there doing their job, even though there doesn't seem to be a pellicle (image #3). Hopefully the smell will die down a little - I mean I guess it just smells like acidic beer, I haven't tasted it yet (how does one do this anyway? assuming I'd need a sanitized turkey baster or wine thief).

Strangely, I also smelled the highly pellicle'd apricot/peach wheat beer (image #2), and it smelled normal. Granted, just because it smells nice doesn't mean it tastes nice, and my SWMBO still wants me to dump it out, but I totally wanna sneak a taste of it! Weird that such a strong bacterial infection wouldn't smell like anything - anyone have any more experience with something like this?

Anyway, long story short, I think I'm just gonna let the saison ride out and see how it goes, take extra precautions to completely separate my sour vs. regular beer equipment, and start using starsan sprayed gloves for handling everything.

Hopefully one or more of these beers will turn out allright!

Pic 1 looks like the beginnings of krausen
Pic 2 looks like lacto/pedio if not both
Pic 3 is done with fermentation and have slight yeast/co2 rafts

When you say the Berliner smells like arse, sulphur arse or carbonic arse? You might be inhaling co2 out of the headspace. Its very hard to smell beer in carboys.

Write SOUR on that bucket and don't use it for anything but sours. I don't have the time for 10-15hours soak cleanings and buckets are cheap enough.

Cheers!

FYI, freezing doesn't kill bacteria, it just sort of suspends and slows down its action.

Yeah, just get a wine thief or turkey baster, sanitize and pull out a sample. According to multiple guys on here, there's nothing in beer that can actually make you (very) sick, it may just taste really bad or give you gas. So feel free to get under the top of the wheat beer and take a taste test of that as well. You may be able to rack underneath the infection and still come out with a really good beer.

If you haven't tasted them yet i wouldn't come to the conclusion that they are infected. They may be just fine. You just gotta try them. As someone already mentioned, there is nothing that will kill you that can survive in beer because there are no deadly microorganisms that can survive in the hops and alcohol. So the worst case scenario if you try it is that it tastes awful but it isn't going to do you any harm. If you dump it before even trying it I'm going to be real disappointed in you for wasting all that potentially good beer. If it has an infection and tastes horrible then go ahead and dump it but if it tastes fine or even if it tastes like an infection but is delicious then drink it up!

Also is there a spigot on your bucket? I had a batch spoil after bottling before because my bottling bucket spigot was dirty on the inside. I took apart the spigot and thoroughly cleaned all the parts and had no more issues.

that accidental sour.... sounds like a DFH Festina Peche in the making. Yummm. Going to have to go through my beer fridge and see if I have any left.

Haha yeah I agree, totally made me think of Festina Peche as well.

I definitely want to drink the peach beer, maybe I'll have to have a sneaky bottling session when my gf isn't home... ;)

I definitely want to drink the peach beer, maybe I'll have to have a sneaky bottling session when my gf isn't home... ;)

I'll preface this by saying that I am not a sour/wild expert at all, but depending on the infection you will probably want to let it ride for a while before bottling. Bugs can take a while to do their work and the flavor profile could change drastically over the course of months. I'd say take a gravity sample and smell/taste it to see how it is now and report back.

Back