My house smells great! Thanksgiving coming up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, use real butter, use real cream, use all the fat from the drippings to make awesome gravy, and have two pieces of pumpkin pie. You can eat like a rabbit again on Friday.

Amen to that! My mashed potatoes have heavy cream, imported Irish butter, vermouth and olive oil drizzled fresh roasted garlic, fresh cracked white pepper, and a topper of some fresh grated Romano cheese, heart stoppingly good!!

Wondering what to do with the leftovers? I chill them, form into golf ball size balls, roll in Panko breadcrumbs and freeze thanksgiving night. Now what to serve as a side to the Friday lunchtime turkey, cranberry compote, stuffing and gravy sandwich? I deep fry the frozen mashed potato balls in some olive oil and top with more Romano cheese!

The key is the breadcrumbs and the freezing, with all the butter, heavy cream, and cheese, you are basically trying to deep fry fat. they will dissolve in the hot oil if not coated and frozen stiff. doing the math on a decent sized serving of the deep-fried mashed potato balls, it tips the scales at over 1000 calories. Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!!!

All this discussion about bad for you food has got me hankering for some Scrapple. I just need to dig out that recipe, it's around here somewhere.....

Seriously, that is the key to amazing potatoes. I don't care who you are or how fatty your milk is, but you will not have mashed potatoes as good as those made with heavy cream. Ever. I get so many compliments on my mashed potatoes because I use the real deal cream. Sure, it isn't cheap when you compare it to milk, but you just can't substitute the flavor and richness.

All you need for great mashed potatoes is cream, butter and salt. Other things are good too but aren't needed.

The key is the breadcrumbs and the freezing, with all the butter, heavy cream, and cheese, you are basically trying to deep fry fat. they will dissolve in the hot oil if not coated and frozen stiff. doing the math on a decent sized serving of the deep-fried mashed potato balls, it tips the scales at over 1000 calories. Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!!!

All this discussion about bad for you food has got me hankering for some Scrapple. I just need to dig out that recipe, it's around here somewhere.....

That sounds amazing!

Well, it's over. Everyone just left. The turkey was great, the garlic mashed potatoes were wonderful (of course, real butter and cream), and the deviled eggs were gobbled up immediately upon them arriving!

The biggest hit was the most surprising! I wanted a green vegetable, but nothing creamed. So, I just stir fried sliced green cabbage in butter. That's it. No other ingredients at all, but salt and pepper at the table. My son and daughter both said it was the best item on the menu!

My daughter's fiance barely touched the kegerator, as the baby was NOT in the mood to stay up late tonight. He loved the Furiously IPA, and thought the steam beer was great, but didn't get to try the stout.

I definitely don't want to go to work tomorrow! I want to eat leftovers and lay on the couch.

This is the first year we tried brining the turkey. OMG! What the he!! were we thinking?? I should have done this years ago! Absolutely, beyond the shadow of a doubt the best and moisted turkey we have ever made. There is no going back now!

Between the turkey and the mincemeat tarts, I am feeling fat and sassy! Started a new batch of wildflower mead in the primary. I am a happy, happy girl!

We just celebrated our Thanksgiving on Sunday. I made a beer brined turkey using Imperial Stout, malt extract, salt, and water. Then made a glaze from malt extract, apple cider vinegar, thyme, and rosemary. Stuffed the bird with onions, celery, thyme, rosemary, sage, marjoram, garlic, and pepper corns. The turkey turned out absolutely amazing! The skin was crispy and delicious. The meat was so moist and delicious. We also had beer bread, roasted red peppers, broccoli rabe, mashed potatoes, stuffing, homemade noodles, homegrown peach cobbler, and handpicked wild blueberry pie. It was so good. The beer menu consisted on my Imperial Stout, Imperial IPA, and Holiday Ale.

Back