Eastern Thanksgiving Beer Advocate Food Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedonist91

Reaction score
Hey all-I posted this in the Beer Advocate Forum as well. If you get a chance, check out homebrewchef.com . Some great ideas/recipes.

I'm doing my whole thanksgiving dinner around the recipes in BA this month, and I wanted to sort of comment/review them, I thought people here would be interested.
These aren't the actual names of everything the way Sean Paxton has them in BA, but I'm really comfy on the couch right now and I don't feel like grabbing the issue. It's all the way in the kitchen.

On the menu:

Moroccan Brine Turkey -
Belgian Quad Cranberry Sauce -
Apricot Ale Pistachio Couscous "Stuffing" -
Wild Mushroom Doppelbock Gravy

And these aren't actually from BA or homebrewchef.com
Mashed Yams - (I'm boiling them in apple and orange juice, and homebrewed pumkin ale)
Green Beans w/ butter n' garlic. - "normal"
Cornbread - "my wife's amazing super low-fat delicious she's watching me type-with local apples on top" . (it's actually really f-ing good)

The Moroccan brine turkey instead of using 66 oz (!) of Ninkasi Imperial Red ($$$) (and Half Time didn't have it) I used Trade Winds Pandan Brown Ale. Real cheap. Yesss! If I'm dumping it in a turkey and not my belly, a half of a gallon of beer seems like a lot. Definitely cut a corner but...meh.

The cranberry sauce I'm using Avery's The Reverend instead of Three Philosophers, mainly because I've tasted Three Philosophers a million times and wanted to try Avery's quad. Also, I subbed raisins for the cherries. Dried cherries were like 6 bucks an ounce at the local store.

The doppelbock mushroom gravy I'm using Trogenator, and holy lord, it is so good. One drop of it has the flavor of 2 lbs of mushrooms, all the reduced stock, etc. Very impressed.

...aaannd I'm following the couscous recipe to a T.

Haven't tried anything yet but the gravy, I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Anyone else trying these or similar recipes?

I brined my turkey with a half-gallon of homebrewed wit. Dressing was made with octoberfest. Gravy has a nut brown. I drank Cantillion Kriek with dinner. :p

Back