Thanksgiving plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
We're hosting Thanksgiving this year (only 6 people, so not a huge crowd) and are working on the menu. Who else is in the same boat?

We're planning:

Turkey smoked on the WSM - I ordered a fresh, non pre-basted, non-enhanced turkey yesterday, which I'll brine with a simple salt/sugar brine with Simon and Garfunkel herbs,

Grilled root veggies on the kettle grill like Yooper says in this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/grilled-root-veg-who-knew-441860/

Mashed potatoes that SWMBO makes with sour cream and all sorts of other good stuff,

Cranberry bread and cranberry sauce,

Non-stuffed stuffing, or dressing.

MIL's awesome pumpkin pies.

And, of course, homebrew. I have a keg of a really nice Scottish 70, a kind of young Dubbel which may be ready in time, and some awesome cider.

We'll probably expand the menu over the next couple weeks. I always get awesome ideas from other HBT'ers, so what's everyone else planning?

My wonderful Aunt is hosting. She does all the usual suspects and I will be adding:
Some form of pie (still undecided)
stuffed grapeleaves

Going to the MIL's house. It's kind of tradition. Now normally I'd be thrilled to hang out with the FIL, but since the split...

The worst part is WTF does she plan to serve the meal right in the middle of the FRIGGIN FOOTBALL GAME!?? EVERY DAMN YEAR!

But yeah, I usually make a couple of pies, and we mostly eat traditional T-day foods and then most of us get up early to go shopping the next day.

We're pretty traditional too. some years,I pit bbq the turkey. Southern style stuffing & whole cranberry sauce,both recipes from her grandma. The usual pumkin,mincemeat,pecan pies. Mandarin orange salad with pineapple,sourcream & mini marshmallows. Mashed taters,gravy,sweet taters,etc. & two IPA's this year. Also the greenbean cassarole,warm rolls...

I love the way tradition has played out for me and this holiday. I am in charge of the meat, alcohol, and the menu selection. The women prepare all the veggies, starches, bread, and desert while they sip on white wine, chat, and watch the parade on a TV in the kitchen. Meanwhile the men will have cold beer, fire pit, two smokers, and a giant TV outside on the deck to enjoy to the NFL games.

Alcohol:
I will have an IPA and maybe a White Ale as far as homebrew. I am also going to pick up some good Hefe's, Lagers, and White wine. Of course to follow tradition, a handle (1/2 gallon) of Macallan 12 year Scotch will be on the list.
Meat:
Turkey smoked for 4 hours on the big green egg
Ham smoked for 10 hours on the big green egg
Veggies:
Broccoli Casserole
Squash Casserole
TBA Casserole
Starches:
Sweet Potato Casserole
Stuffing
Mac and Cheese Casserole
Bread:
Home Made Sour Dough
Home Made Sweet Wheat Rolls
Desert:
Pecan Pie
Peach Pie
2 Jugs of Ice Cream

Normal Turkey day food at our house and the in-laws. Gonna bring a sixer of Pumpkin ale for sis in law. Then watch Dallas destroy the Raiders.........

Hopefully the Packers will have their quarterback situation resolved by the time they take on Detroit that morning.

We're going to a family friend's place. She;s a former home ec teacher, so the eats are always good.
She'll be making the bird, my sister-in-law will be doing desserts, side dishes will be divided among whoever else is coming.
I'll be making a brisket in the slow cooker. Season the meat and sear to get a bit of crust (brining beforehand is optional; I may do something a day or so ahead of time) Layer onions and mushrooms in the cooker, some liquid - possibly wine, juice or water or some combination - mix in a packet of onion soup mix, and lay the meat on top. a whole lot of time on low / med and yum yum, fall apart with the fork...

Hosting the family again this year. We love it, as it gives us a chance to invite orphans to join us. I'll be smoking a turkey (in the Weber) along with SWMBO's usual side dishes. Wine and Newcastle clone for dinner, Scotch Wee Heavy ale and a Stone Clone Imperial Russian Stout for dessert (along with the pipes and cigars).

I host every year and I love it!! It's a big deal for me. I've had 30-40 people before, this year looks like maybe 15 or so. I plan on smoking a turkey, and deep frying one. Twice baked potatoes, homemade mac and cheese, cornbread dressing, and my chocolate cream pie.

We will be heading to Central TX to spend the holiday at my folks home with all the Family. Dad will be slow smoking the bird, as we have all come to expect and enjoy. I know a ham is in the plans and will be cooked on his holland grill to perfection. Also on the menu...cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, gravy and fresh rolls.

Desserts will consist of the 3 main pies we enjoy during this time of year...pecan, pumpkin and chocolate. I know an Italian cream cake will be in the mix, and some home brewed Belgian Blond ale will be the beverage of choice as we enjoy time with Family, Give Thanks and enjoy a little traditional NFL football. :mug:

I am going to buy a turkey breast, some good sourdough, and cranberries to make some food and hopefully brew a honey orange hefeweizen. No plans, no people, no schedule.

Hopefully the Packers will have their quarterback situation resolved by the time they take on Detroit that morning.

where is the dislike button here? This is the first of two times I get to see the Lions this year (no NFL Sunday Ticket, the other time will be when they play the Eagles).

We are hosting Thanksgiving, and recently went from 7 to 17 people.

We'll be making 3 or 4 birds, all brined. One will be injected with bbq/bourbon, the others will be rubbed down with some home made herbed butter. All will be put in the smoker to cook (but not smoked, just acts as a charcoal fed oven on this day).

SIL is making her sage sausage dressing and sweet potato casserole.
We'll make the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. Not sure what else, haven't finalized the menu yet.

My wife is making me a bourbon pecan pie. Someone else is bringing a pumpkin pie (worst pie ever), a chocolate, and maybe a cherry cheese pie. I was contemplating making a peanut butter pie as well. I was lobbying for a Lemon Meringue, but feel I've lost that battle.

For bread, not sure if we'll be making our own, or just going with rolls.

Lastly, I currently have our house pale ale, a DBIPA, and a brown ale on tap. There is a chance (read: get off my lazy ass) that I could have a red carbed and ready to go on deck, but also already have a cider waiting in the wings.

To save room in the fridge, I plan to put the turkey and brine in one of those Williams-Sonoma brining bags, which are reported to not leak, and then put the whole thing in my 10-gallon MLT cooler with ice to keep it cold overnight.

Back