My Hop Garden (ongoing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OofC_Zer0

Reaction score
So I am growing hops this year, and a wonderful opportunity fell into my lap. My father was told by a friend that he could use their land for gardening. So he told me that I could use some as well. So he tilled a big section and I picked my area. I have 10 rhizomes (2cascade, 2centennial, 2chinook, 2columbus and 2galena). Planted them into the ground last Saturday. One of the galena's has a bine already popped through(beast). Got my trellis design together, and bought my materials. Pre-assembled at the shop and then transported to site. It is 24ft long with a 4ft T on top. I will have 2, one on each side. and then rope between the two on both ends of the T, and twine coming down. I have eyebolts on the top and bottom to attach my main rope which has enough extra on each side to lower it all the way to the ground. It sits 4ft into the ground and is surprisingly very sturdy. only got one in the ground this evening. I will post more pictures as I progress. Any feedback would be much appreciated! CHEERS, Happy BREWING!
:mug:

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

nice high support! plants should be really happy with that amount of height to climb. glad to hear it's solid, wouldn't want it being carried away in the wind.

any concern that the weight of the plants (plus wind, etc) might pull down on the "cross wires", and pull the two supports together to the point of breaking, bending, etc? just a thought, possibly a misplaced one.

sweetcell said:
nice high support! plants should be really happy with that amount of height to climb. glad to hear it's solid, wouldn't want it being carried away in the wind.

any concern that the weight of the plants (plus wind, etc) might pull down on the "cross wires", and pull the two supports together to the point of breaking, bending, etc? just a thought, possibly a misplaced one.

There might be a little pull, but it's made out of 7 pieces of 2x3x8 studs doubled up, so I'm not too concerned about it bending. And there won't bee to much distance between them(15-20ft) so I think it should be straight. Worse case scenario is that I put an eye bolt through it and anchor it.

Got it all finished last night. It was like 9 when I got it in and I packed it in a little off straight. But it's close enough for government work. And they are both very sturdy. I'll update with pics when my hops start beasting!! :-D

image-3170865424.jpg

Back