My homebrew at my wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZebulonBrewer

Reaction score
So I got hitched this last Friday :eek: and after I became engaged a friend of mine who was a much more senior brewer said to me, "Why don't you make the beer for the wedding?" This was a few brews into our evening and I thought it was just crazy enough to work. :drunk:

It was a smashing success, and here's the story:

Planning started in early February, right when I started getting ready for brewing spring and summer beers. I've brewed for ~two years and have had more successes than failures, and switched this last Spring to partial mash BIAB. However, to provide beer for my wedding, I wanted it to be good, and my tiny apartment with all of my two year old's toys has no room for temperature controlled fermentation area, much less mass production and storage

After several months of trial recipes, tweaks, and coming to reality, I ended up brewing three, five gallon recipes, so about one keg's worth. Lame, I know, but with ~120-150 people, some of which I didn't think would like any of it. I also decided to provide ~six cases of cheap stuff (bud, bud light, miller light, busch).

The recipes I used are partial mash adaptions of the following recipes.

Strawberry Blonde (strawberry was ~half of recommended extract amount
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/simple-blonde-ale-extract-54953/
This beer was the crowd favorite, the blonde is one of the most popular beers that I brew, because did I mention the wedding was completely outside in Ohio and it was 90°F (full tuxedo......I thought I was going to die)

Honey Orange Hefeweizen
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/honey-orange-hefeweizen-169857/
Pretty crisp, and it ended up a little drier than I wanted it. Also well liked, and also the most consumed of all three. Because it finished so dry (1.010), it was also the highest alcohol (5.5%).

Blood Moon IPA
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/blood-moon-ipa-471019/
This was my personal favorite. It was summer, and I didn't want people to die under oppressive stouts and browns in 90°F+humid weather. I lowered the alcohol to ~5.0% from the recipe recommended level, and at both strengths, I love it. A few people who like good beer and hate IPA's said they liked this IPA.

Transportation to the venue:
fmqtxPI.jpg

I also have to say, that brewing, fermenting, and conditioning three batches that not being consumed really eats into the pipeline. I had been brewing two batches per month since February, and this summer has been insane (guess why?), so I actually had to buy beer for general usage :( .

TL;DR - I so very pleased that my homebrew was such a successful part of my wedding. Very little survived, and I plan to brew a Dusseldorf Altbier to get the Fall started. Yes I know I'm behind.

:cheers:

Congrats and welcome to the club! I brewed beer for my wedding as well. Everyone loved it. Served about 25 gallons via jockey box. It was a great excuse to build a 4 tap jockey box.

Any ideas on what I should brew next? The newly minted Mrs. and I switch off picking brews, and I have a Dusseldorf Altbier that I purchased ingredients for today, and then a Zombie Dust Clone (because she likes Citra).

Any ideas for after that? Scottish Ale? Brrr Clone? Cider of some kind? I'm up for anything.

Well I'm ramping up for winter. But winter is in the desert, so a little different. In thinking milk stout. Maybe a session IPA... And maybe an imperial porter.

Of course I just signed up to bring beer to a wedding in august and December so there is that... Logistics, logistics!

This is winter in Ohio, so very different, but the spirit is the same! I've been thinking of trying a milk stout for a while, and would be excellent for November I'm sure. Okay, okay, stop twisting my arm, I'll make the milk stout ;)

Haha! My wife doesn't get really enthusiastic for most beers but she apparently loves milk stout. So, that just went on the short list! When my brewing stuff benefits her she is more willing to accommodate my obsession... I am going to start working on a second 1/2bbl conical... First step: brew what she likes!

Enjoy the milk stout. Lemme know what recipe you choose. I've been looking around but haven't settled on anything.

Any ideas on what I should brew next? The newly minted Mrs. and I switch off picking brews, and I have a Dusseldorf Altbier that I purchased ingredients for today, and then a Zombie Dust Clone (because she likes Citra).

Any ideas for after that? Scottish Ale? Brrr Clone? Cider of some kind? I'm up for anything.

Cider is a good pipeline filler, because it requires almost no effort - no boil or anything. Just fill the fermenter, Campden if you need to, then pitch yeast, nutrient and then pectic enzyme. You can make it still cider (English style, served from a cask) and you can mull it as well for winter/fall tastes.

Congratulations! My wedding is Nov. 1 and its coming fast. I wanted to make beer for it and then we ended up booking the event at a local winery/brewery and their craft brews are included in the price. The fiancé's wedding shower is this Saturday and some other husbands got jealous, so it turned into a full blown party. While the girls do, whatever it is girls do at such a thing, I am going to have a hops harvest / brewing party for the guys. I'm just trying to find a good recipe for something I can maybe pull off in two months using Nugget hops.

Congrats! It's fun to force-feed your relatives and friends your wares :tank:

Now it's time for you to start brewing anniversary ales and let them age into a vertical series...

I'm brewing for my wedding as well making a honey blonde ale and a clone Texas Red. Doing 15 gallons of each. I have a few more weeks to play around with my own recipes before I hit it hard on the wedding brews lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm brewing for mine too! I'm going big, four different varieties. A blonde based on Biermunch's Centennial Blonde, an Amber ale, an American wheat, amd an ipa. 5 gallons of each except the ipa, doing ten gallons of that....

I too am actually planning on doing this. I have a good two years to experiment with recipes before I finalize any of them. My plan is to have a hard rock theme to the names. For Ex. Alice In Chai Chai Pilsner, Mintallica Mint Chocolate Stout, Guns N Rosemary IPA. I'm also planning on doing an online poll for guests planning to attend and they can essentially vote for three they'd most likely "actually" drink. Due to ABC law restrictions I can only serve up to 15 gallons. Did the 15 gallons serve the 100+ people well or was there hardly any left at the end?

Congrats man! I did 15 gal for our wedding last fall, and still get compliments on the beer. It was nervewracking, but I'm glad I did it.

I just passed my 1yr anniversary and my wife and I brewed all of the beer, wine and champagne for our wedding. Our celebration lasted a full week though and my family are heavy drinkers so we made 15 5 gallon batches of beer, 6 6 gallon batches of wine and 1 3 gallon batch of champagne.

We brought back a few cases of wine (some is now marked for aging until the 10yr and 25yr anniversaries) but only half a case of beer and 2 bottles of champagne. My family are beer and wine snobs so there were apparently behind the scenes plans to make an emergency alcohol run if my brews sucked (they live far away so they didn't know if we made good beer) but in the end everyone was happy. Especially me.

I too am actually planning on doing this. I have a good two years to experiment with recipes before I finalize any of them. My plan is to have a hard rock theme to the names. For Ex. Alice In Chai Chai Pilsner, Mintallica Mint Chocolate Stout, Guns N Rosemary IPA. I'm also planning on doing an online poll for guests planning to attend and they can essentially vote for three they'd most likely "actually" drink. Due to ABC law restrictions I can only serve up to 15 gallons. Did the 15 gallons serve the 100+ people well or was there hardly any left at the end?

I had 75 guests and served about a case of wine and 20ish, maybe a little more, gallons of beer. IPA, English mild, saison and hard cider.

I had 75 guests and served about a case of wine and 20ish, maybe a little more, gallons of beer. IPA, English mild, saison and hard cider.

Hmm, okay. My fiancé wants to get married at a winery so I'm sure some guests will go for wine. So if I have 100-125 guests 15 gallons of beer should last it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A friend just started brewing and is thinking about home brew at his wedding in a couple mounths. I said hecks yea!
So that kind of strapped me to brew it with his help. Personally I think he could do this himself but hes looking a little stressed these days. Lol
Right now I have 20 gallons ready to keg so im in good shape if I keep the pipeline going.
Other then taking my keezer there for him to use what would be the easiest way to serve it? What did you guys do?

For those who were curious, I provided the following for ~130 people

13 handles of liquor split between all types and came back with about a third of it.

40 bottles of wine. Haven't counter the remains but I'd say about half remains

6 cases of BMC. Her side has some but country drinking types that tried my stuff, thought it was good for 'that kind of beer', and grabbed a Busch light. About 2 cars remained.

With the aforementioned 6 cars of homebrew, I came home with a case and a half. Mostly IPA and a few strawberry.

I won't need to buy anything for a while

Latest posts

Back