My half batch seems stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg17

Reaction score
The estimated FG is 1.011 and its been stuck at 1.020. Should I try to rouse the yeast or repitch?

Type: All Grain (BIAB)
Date: 6/11/2011
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
OG: 1.046
IBU: 17
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.24 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

I can't imagine that it would be stuck if you pitched a whole smack pack of yeast and the O.G. was 1.046. What temperature did you mash at, it may be that you have some unfermentable sugar in there and that is as low as you are going to get. What temp. did you ferment at? You can always swirl the fermenter some and raise the temp a little to see if that gets the yeast going again, but I don't think you should have to re-pitch.

I can't imagine that it would be stuck if you pitched a whole smack pack of yeast and the O.G. was 1.046. What temperature did you mash at, it may be that you have some unfermentable sugar in there and that is as low as you are going to get. What temp. did you ferment at? You can always swirl the fermenter some and raise the temp a little to see if that gets the yeast going again, but I don't think you should have to re-pitch.

Thanks. I mashed at 153. If I rouse the yeast to no avail, should I just wait it out and bottle in a couple of weeks at 1.020 anyways?

At 15 days, I would try to rouse the yeast a little bit and let it go another week and take another gravity reading. It may just be that it is going to finish at 1.020, what temp have you been fermenting at? That is the only other factor that I could see causing a problem.

Back