My flying dog sadness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
I'm having a harder and harder time finding Flying Dog around me, I even looked up places to buy it on their website, and the 2 closest places listed no longer carried any of the Flying Dog beer. I gave up on trying the normal liquor stores in the area and finally drove out to a larger liquor warehouse that carries a lot of craft beers. I picked up a 6 pack of the old scratch, brought it home, chilled it. It's OK, but I think it had been sitting on the shelf for too long, there is a strong, metallic aftertaste. Boo. I've only had one of the bottles so far, maybe the others will be better.

Next time you plan on heading back that store, call in advance and see if they can get you the Flying Dog variety 12 pack. It comes with 6 beers - Doggystyle Pale Ale, In Heat Wheat, Tire Bite Golden Ale, Snake Bite IPA, Old Scratch Amber Lager, and the Road Dog Porter.

Flying Dog is kind of hit or miss. Last year I really got into their beer for a while, but it seems like their quality control is lacking. Sometimes you get a 6 thats great, other times you get the same 6 and its not. Had a few that I bought that gushed and sprayed when I opened them and were way over carbonated.

I've actually been wanting to try their Kerberos, the only way to get it there was in the big dog variety pack, so I just went with the old scratch for now, might go back in a couple of weeks and talk to them about it then.

I enjoy most of their beers, but I was a bit disappointed in the Biere de Garde.

I bought a sampler 12 of Flying Dog and "Old Scratch" was the worst by far. It was strange because my favorite was "In Heat Wheat" which is not one of my favorite styles. The IPA and Pale Ale were good and Porter was OK.

Flying Dog is kind of hit or miss. Last year I really got into their beer for a while, but it seems like their quality control is lacking. Sometimes you get a 6 thats great, other times you get the same 6 and its not. Had a few that I bought that gushed and sprayed when I opened them and were way over carbonated.

I think I must keep getting them on the downside...while I haven't had a lot of their lineup, what I have had hasn't really made me want to go much further:(

Thats funny that you say that, because here in NC I'm starting to get tired of seeing Flying Dog dominating the good beer section of my local grocery stores, despite the fact that i like their beer. I want some variety, and it seems that these places are obsessed with flying dog. Oh well, could be a lot worse!

Back