My first time watching brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The10mmKid

Reaction score
Folks, my LHBS will be hosting a BrewOut this Saturday.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BrewTensils/167300369974896?sk=events

As a person who has never brewed, what should I 'do not miss' and/or pay particular attention too.

It appears from the past events, that almost all the equipment types/methods will be represented. A chat with them the other day led me to believe I may even get to witness some wet hopping . . . it is that blessed time of year here in oHIo.

I purchased a used Deluxe Starter set from a co-worker last month. I will be purchasing my first extract ingredient kit that day as a show of my support for my LHBS.

I'm excited!

Thanks,
'da Kid

Just focus on the steps involved in the brewing process; Sanitation being the most critical and influential on the outcome of the beer.

Make note of each step and figure out how YOU would organize it best. Watching someone else perform the steps is important, do not get me wrong, but IMO, you are the one that will eventually be performing the tasks.

For your first kit, I would recommend something simple like a basic pale ale. Personally if you plan on eventually going all grain, then an extract with steeping grains is the way to go.

Which brings me to another good point.

Make note of the different types of brewing methods:
1) Extract only
2) Extract with steeping grains
3) Partial Mash (with extract addition)
4) All grain

Also BIAB (Brew In A Bag) is an option for #2-#4 above as an cheaper alternative to get a feel for all grain brewing.

Biggest bit of advice though?:
Keep in touch on this forum and ask questions.
Get yourself a copy of Palmer's "How To Brew" and read it. (free copy online at howtobrew.com, although I would recommend 3rd edition as he has made some changes in his methods and beliefs)
(save it cuz if you are smart, you will be reading it more than once)

My advice?

Watch, ask questions, but most of all, enjoy and have fun! Don't worry about learning everything all at once or missing pieces of information. You can pick-up whatever you might have missed right here on HBT.

Just my opinion but --- I wouldn't waste a bunch of energy paying attention to the fine details you'll learn lots of that down the road. Definitely ask questions when you don't understand things though. Just remember to take everything with a grain of salt. I don't agree with all the techniques that my LHBS or other brewers use. Have fun with it brewing can be a simple process really or you can complicate it as much as you like too. :D
:mug:

Edit: If you are set on getting a bunch of the details and minor steps down. You can find some great Brewing Checklists online. Here is an example http://cdn2.brewersfriend.com/brewersfriend_checklist_allgrain.pdf

Cheers

Get to know your equipment ahead of time. The demo will probably use something that you don't own. Then you can ask if there's a substitute piece of equipment or a different method to work around it.

Back