my first time makeing hard applecider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvn1234

Reaction score
My first time makeing hard apple cider its to fermenting were did i go wroung this is what i did mabey someone can help i have fresh apples i ran them thourgh a juicer and added my brown suger and also campen tablets and also my pectic enzme mix all to gether and covered for 20 hrs then i seem that the setment on the bottom dont know what it was for looked like mabey surger so i straind it then waited another 2 hrs before i put yeast in and not fermenting doing nothing at all been setting now for 5 hrs still nothing were did i go wroung and what can i do to save it or is it to late any ideas out

yah, let it sit and stop messing with it. :) 5 hours is no time at all for fermentation to start. I've waited 3 days for fermentation to start before.

Did you use dry yeast or liquid yeast? Did you make a starter? What temp are you fermenting at?

At 24 hours I might start getting concerned, however, apple juice has a low ph which is not a friendly environment for yeast, so could take 2 or even 3 days.

Did you aerate?

It took all of 3 days for my cider to start fermenting. Just let it do its thing. It will go.

I used lalvin it smelled like rotten egges and had some funky slim to it i trashed it.

Thanks for your help im useing lalvin and the temp is 70 it was like rotten eggs and slime i trast it

I ONLY use lalvin EC-1118, with more than 40 gallons of apple wine under my belt. At 72F it usually takes about 36hrs for krausen to form. I've never had a setback.

As far as rhino farts...no reason to scrap a batch! It WILL abate...even in the bottle.

So yes, leave it alone...5 hrs is nothing.

Back