My First Stencil on a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerStreetBeers

Reaction score
DSCF1782.JPG

Starting this weekend, I'm going to be taking some of my beers in kegs to a couple of events, so I wanted to mark my cornies somehow. It's simple and a bit crude, but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt.

It's simple and a bit crude, but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt.

Simple is GOOD. While I'm no expert, in my opinion the first thing that separates good graphic designers from bad ones is the ability to simplify. If you want to get picky you could clean up the text a little, but I think the design is perfect: anybody looking at it can immediately recognize what it is, and that's the whole idea!

Nice. Did you prepare the surface in any special way, or just clean it up and paint?

Thanks,

Moe

This first one I did nothing, but once I started painting I did think "Maybe I should have cleaned it". I will at least wipe the rest of them down.

Windigstadt: the text was a bit of an afterthought. I actually cut it out of the stencil after I already had it taped to the keg. Depending on the situation, I may attach a piece of tape with some contact info as dasein668 suggested, but I guess I wanted to retain the option to remain semi-anonymous. Text could definitely be cleaner -- I do some rubber stamp carving and my text always comes out pretty awful.

i've done similar on my keggle. auto supply stores (autozone, etc) have a high temp engine paint available in black (and maybe other colors) that stick well and withstand heat, yet come off easily enough with some thinner/goobgone/goofoff.

break cleaner works awesome for removing the paint if you ever want to.
I had to spray labels on all of the equipment on the tools at the fire department I worked at.

here is mine that I did, very simple (also was my first) attempt :- )

I use simple metal paint that I had laying around, glossy finish, this was just first coat.

For more complicated stencils the research videos that I seen on youtube all used exacto knife
kits to cut out more complicated patterns, I just used scissors :- )

I maintain some various content short articles that I write in my Wordpress blog:

http://www.kodiaktechnical.com/wordpress/?attachment_id=247

Also am going to add our web site URL to that too, once I get a sharp knife :=- )

kodiakbrewing.com / private brew | non-profit

stencil_keg.jpg

Back