My first sour -Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
About a year ago I brewed my first sour, a five gallon batch and used wyeast 3763, Roselare. A had it in a barrel for about 11 months and then transferred into a carboy on cherries now for about a month. My question, should I repitch yeast so it carbonates better? At the time of bottling or a few days prior? Should I use the same yeast or just a normal ale yeast? It tastes amazing now. Don't want to mess up the bottle conditioning. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a neutral wine yeast on mine, like Premier Cuvee. They're supposed to be more acid tolerant, so they should condition quicker. One thing to keep in mind, since it's been sitting there for so long, the residual CO2 is going to be much lower compared to a beer that's only a few weeks old; basically time has degassed it. Some recommend adding some sugar about 10 days before bottling, then bottle with additional priming sugar to prevent undercarb'd beer.

Back