My first "scratch" brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grnich

Reaction score
Today I did my first non-kit brew. I think it went pretty well, but I'm wondering if I aerated enough. I basically splashed the plastic spoon back and forth through the wort for a few minutes. My added water was about 50% to top up the fermentor. Did I aerate enough? Should I aerate more now that the yeast is pitched? I want to make sure I get full fermentation.

If you added water from your tap, then you more than likely have it aerated it enough. Your tap water will have quite a bit of oxygen in it. I always pour mine from the kettle to a fermentor, and that adds quite a bit, the wort is foamy on top from that action.

Dry or liquid yeast? Don't aerate now. Next time try the shaking method, either rocking it on your knees or on the corner of the counter.

Yes, it was filtered tap water, for about 50% of the wort. And then I added dry yeast.

What exactly is the shaking method? Do I shake the kettle? I think that would make a mess, wouldn't it? I'm using a plastic bucket for the primary.

Thanks for help!

Put your wort (of half your wort) in the bucket, put on the lid (doesn't need to be totally sealed) and shake. If you can just pick it up and shake it for 5 minutes, that'll work and it'll be good exercise. Alternatively you can sit in a chair with the bucket on your lap and shake, or put the bucket at the edge of the counter and rock it. A few minutes of shaking will be sufficient aeration for the yeast.

If you're using dry yeast, many of them do not need aeration.

Tap water is plenty aerated. In fact, most faucets have an aerator on them... You'll be fine.

Boiling is what causes O2 to get expelled from your wort. If you shake the crap out of your wort then add your top-off water from the tap your in good shape.

Could someone please help me. The first batch of yeast I pitched died. Don't know why, but no activity at all for a couple of days.

I pitched another batch 2 days ago(Cooper's dry, all I could get on a Sunday), now the top of the wort has a weird green slime instead of a fluffy krausen. I can hear it bubbling. Is my batch contaminated??? I never saw fermenting beer look like that before. My beer is just an ale with light DME. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, after some searching, it appears the green foam is could be caused by the hops. Never got this with my kit brews, so maybe it's normal...hopefully.

Back