My first Saison, Bottle or Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuff7129

Reaction score
I have my first Saison finishing up fermentation. I have read that a saison should be carbonated to a level of approximately 3.2 vols. I want this saison to be as close to style as possible so I am looking to carbonate to the 3.2 vols level. Based on the research I have done I cannot use my regular bottles for that high of carbonation and I don't really want to lay out the dough for Belgian bottles, although I will if that is what will be best.

I was thinking that I would keg this beer. I was thinking that I would use corn sugar to naturally carbonate in the keg so I would get similar carbonation as I would in the bottle.

My questions are what would you guys do? Bottle or keg? If you keg, would you force carb or would you prime with sugar. Also would you use the same amount of sugar as you would in the bottle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I keg all my beers including saisons. So much easier. I can't stand bottling any more lol

I force carb all my beers. I did carb one time in the keg with priming sugar for an APA. Came out great. Either way is good. The only reason I did it with priming sugar was because the other 4 gas connections were taken ;)

Bottled my saison at about 3.25 volumes (regular bottles) and been kinda sweating it. They're OK, its been almost 4 weeks, but very highly carbed. "To style" for me from now on will be no more than 3 volumes for a saison, probably a touch less! My buddy who is into Belgians loved it though, so its working out.

Bottled my saison at about 3.25 volumes (regular bottles) and been kinda sweating it. They're OK, its been almost 4 weeks, but very highly carbed. "To style" for me from now on will be no more than 3 volumes for a saison, probably a touch less! My buddy who is into Belgians loved it though, so its working out.

I have never been able to find any definitive information about how many vols of co2 a regular bottle will handle. Some sources say 3.5 vols, some say no more than 3 vols but that is pushing it. There does seem to be a consensus that you can carb to 2.75 vols without worry.

What is the temperature you have been conditioning your bottles at? I understand the warmer the temperature the higher the pressure inside the bottle.

I have never been able to find any definitive information about how many vols of co2 a regular bottle will handle. Some sources say 3.5 vols, some say no more than 3 vols but that is pushing it. There does seem to be a consensus that you can carb to 2.75 vols without worry.

What is the temperature you have been conditioning your bottles at? I understand the warmer the temperature the higher the pressure inside the bottle.
Generally they were conditioned at about 70, but for 2 days they got up to as high as 74. I have had issues with several low-level gushers. They are all now at about 66-68 in my basement (in a plastic tub with lid) or refrigerated. Once in fridge for several days (and no shaking) they are good to open and pour. Delicious beer, just too much carb. IMO you aren't losing anything by carbing lower (3 or less). They would be well-carbed and release all that saison goodness in the nose just fine. Just my 2 cents!

I don't carb my saisons with that many volumes. I like mine in the 2.5-2.7 range, and they are very carbonated at that level. With that level I keg and bottle mine.

Thanks for your opinions. I think I am leaning towards bottling at 2.75 vols. Does anyone age their saisons? I know when I buy Saison Dupont it is usually a year or more old. I have aged some trappist style Belgians and they are amazing with age. I wonder if that would apply to saisons as well.

I aged my rye saison. At 9 months it was fantastic. Now I'm at the 12 month mark and I have just one bottle left. The farmhouse character (which was very strong in the beginning) mellowed very nicely. It took on a very nice lemon character after time. If I had to compare it to something I'd say it tastes almost just like Hennepin. I brewed it again this year, but I kegged half of the batch this year. I also fermented a little cooler to see if I could cut down on conditioning time. This years is still pretty funky with farmhouse, but it's a lot more subdued as compared to last years batch. I plan to do a side by side with the one bottle from last year.

I routinely carb to 3.5 in 'regular' bottles. How well your saison ages will largely depend on the hops you used. Some hops don't age well at all. Sytrian Goldings and Crystal are good choices for aging.

The strength of longneck and other "regular" bottles are not all the same. Take a scale that can do grams and you will see a significant difference between some breweries. If a brewery conditions in their bottles, safe bet they will take up to 3.5 safely. There is a weight difference which obviously equates to a strength difference.

The strength of longneck and other "regular" bottles are not all the same. Take a scale that can do grams and you will see a significant difference between some breweries. If a brewery conditions in their bottles, safe bet they will take up to 3.5 safely. There is a weight difference which obviously equates to a strength difference.

This is an excellent point. I don't save the thin / light ones. For 12 oz bottles, I prefer SN bottles over long necks, but some SN style bottles are lighter, Lagaunitas comes to mind.

Back