My first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldy246

Reaction score
This will be my 4th AG batch and my first recipe that I put together on my own via Beersmith. I would like some input and/or constructive criticism. My goal was a hoppy pale ale, fermented with S-05 yeast. Let me know what you would have done different. How you think this will turn out, etc…. Thanks in advance. I just put into the fermenter today. We will see. Worse case scenario, I will still have beer!!

OG- 1.057
FG- 1.012
IBU- 66.8

10 lbs 2 row

.5 lb C45

.5lb Munich

1oz Centennial @ 60

1oz Centennial @ 15

1oz Cascade @ 10

1oz Cenntenial @ 10

1oz Cascade @ 5

1oz Cascade @ 1

1 oz Centennial @ 1

1oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 days

1oz Centennial Dry Hopped 7 days

I've posted a link to a hop utilization chart which shows that the peak time for flavor is ~21 mins and the peak aroma being at 7 mins. However it was said that this may not hold true with every hop type. I have no idea, but it's all I've seen that I can go by, and so I've changed my hopping schedules, as well as my brewing times (7 is a nice number so I went with multiples of it).

I'll see if I can repost it.

I now bitter at 70 mins and give a 21/7 min addition if I'm looking for flavor and aroma. But if I'm looking for less hop presence I'll bitter at 70 and hop at 14 mins.

I've also hopped at 70, 21, 14, and 7 mins.

Definitely an IPA. A pale stops at 45 IBU's.

Ok, IPA it is. I guess I called it a pale because I drew inspiration from a local brewery's pale. I'm a hop head so I may have gotten a little carried away! 😁😁

I'm with you on the carried away part myself! I just created a BIPA recipe with 98 IBU's at 5.9% ABV. LOVE hops!

Thats definitely an IPA but if you would like the best hop punch without all the bitterness usually found in IPAs id do this, it uses a hopstand with teh flameout hops to grab all the aroma and flavor out without any boiling to dissapate the compounds:

@60: 1 centennial
@15: 1 cascade
@0: 3 cascade 2 centennial
*hop stand for 30 min before chilling*
@dry 1 cascade 2 centennial

At any rate, IPA or very hopped up pale ale.

Centennial and Cascade is one of my favorite combinations. Sounds like you have a winner on your hands.

Ok, IPA it is. I guess I called it a pale because I drew inspiration from a local brewery's pale. I'm a hop head so I may have gotten a little carried away! 😁😁

A lot of "pale ales" are actually IPAs these days. The real key is just brewing what tastes good. And remember there's no rules to brewing, just guidines =P

Should be a fine (possibly india) pale ale.

I make my pales in the crossover area to IPA's. It's my get you into hoppy IPA's beer. So technically they are a low scale IPA with ~45 IBU's with most of it as late addition hopping. But I try to keep it around 5-5.5% ABV as it seems many people don't care so much for stronger beers. And it makes it more "sessionable."

Back