My first real RDWHAHB moment (aka: wait three weeks at seventy degrees, dummy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicknbrew

Reaction score
First all grain batch, a simple stout with only 2 row, roasted barley, and fuggles.

A week ago (12 days in the bottle) this stuff was HORRIBLE. Like, I mean bad. REALLY bad.

Today, I was taking the bottles off my beer shelf to dump and clean and of course I planned on testing one first, and when I did..... It still tastes like a first AG batch, a wee watery, weak, etc. from bad mash temp control and super low efficiency due to a too-course grind, but.... I can drink it!

Whew* That was close.

Note to self: Relax. Don't worry, have a home brew.

And NEVER taste a beer before three weeks at 70°.

First all grain batch, a simple stout with only 2 row, roasted barley, and fuggles.

A week ago (12 days in the bottle) this stuff was HORRIBLE. Like, I mean bad. REALLY bad.

Today, I was taking the bottles off my beer shelf to dump and clean and of course I planned on testing one first, and when I did..... It still tastes like a first AG batch, a wee watery, weak, etc. from bad mash temp control and super low efficiency due to a too-course grind, but.... I can drink it!

Whew* That was close.

Note to self: Relax. Don't worry, have a home brew.

And NEVER taste a beer before three weeks at 70°.

I've found Belgian wits often taste pretty good a couple of days after bottling.

Exceptions to every rule. IPA's that were dry hopped, yes. Early is good.

This is just a case of a beer brew gone wrong, then you just wait. And it's all better.

So far my brews have not tasted good/been well carbed/had good head retention/etc. for about 2 months after bottling... then suddenly they become awesome. Of course my apartment isn't 70 degrees either, it's more like 60 - 65 in there. Summer may lead to faster carbing/conditioning beers. Until then I must simply learn patience. AKA RDWHAHB.

So far my brews have not tasted good/been well carbed/had good head retention/etc. for about 2 months after bottling... then suddenly they become awesome. Of course my apartment isn't 70 degrees either, it's more like 60 - 65 in there. Summer may lead to faster carbing/conditioning beers. Until then I must simply learn patience. AKA RDWHAHB.

I do virtually all my brewing in the Spring / Fall, and I have the same conditions. Varies in the low '60s upstairs during the day, up to 67 in the evening, then back down. Basement has two batches down there at around 59F. I have to give things time accordingly. I learned that a good pipeline solves all such problems.

Latest posts

Back