My first post on HomeBrewTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHax0r

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background like you ask for in the FAQ.

I got in to brewing because my friend decided to give me home-brewing equipment and some ingredients as a wedding gift for my up-coming wedding in August of next year. I gotta say it's probably the one of the most addictive, fun, and rewarding gifts I've ever had. It's cost me a fair amount of cash so far ;) but what the hell, you can't take it with you.

My first batch was actually two batches of Mac N' Jacks african amber ale clone. For the first batch, unfortunately the place we ordered the hops from sent the wrong whole-leaf hops (amarillo instead of cascade) and it became a franken-beer. It did turn out however, and was actually a very reasonable brew, some of the best beer I've ever had.

The second half of the batch used cascade pellet hops instead which would have been the correct choice but unfortunately due to my being an idjit and being fidgety and messing with the beer in the primary it got infected with black mold :(.

As far as gear goes, I have the following:
---------------------------------------
5 USGal boilpot
Stainless steel caulinder
Plastic stir spoon (notched for water height in brewpot)
1 Better bottle plastic carboy (6gal)
1 Glass carboy (6gal)
2 Plastic primaries from "Wine Kitz"
4 x fermometers (1 on each of the primaries/secondaries)
Crown capper
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Auto-siphon (I'm not a fan, I gotta say :p)

Other than that I have the typical stuff everyone has: cheesecloth, grainbags, etc.

I'm a "maker", so I tend to build things I need. That way they meet my needs instead of "almost meeting" them :). That seems to be the spirit of the home-brew community anyway given that we're brewing at home instead of buying something at the liquor store ;).

Future plans for building are:
---------------------------
A mash-tun and grain-mill for all-grain brewing

A brewing hutch with a temperature controlled upper level for fermenting and aging as well as storing the plethora of kit that I've acquired already.

Future purchase plans:
---------------------
Planning on buying a pumping kit soon to get rid of the auto-siphon as mine's given me nothing but trouble *sigh*. Found a kit locally that has a food grade pump and line and is easy to clean and sanitize all for $83.00 (good deal!)

Currently in-brew:
-----------------
This weekend I got back on the horse and brewed up Dave's version of a Pacific Northwest IPA. After all a single infection isn't a rash of them ;).

I plan on brewing another batch of Mac n' Jacks clone shortly as well, the grains, hops, and DME/LME are currently on order and should be in this week.

About me in particular:
---------------------

I'm a tinkerer, and I make things for fun. Thus beer was the perfect "mash-up" if you can pardon the bad pun :). I like to build electronic things, I can write software in just about any language and on any platform, and I do computer security consulting for a living.

I'm finding that I enjoy making beer almost more than I enjoy drinking beer. That's partly because I enjoy cooking in general, but also partly because it's an evolving process and each beer is different :).

Hope I can be a welcome and useful member of your community. Feel free to msg me with any questions you might have (including security questions if you feel the need!). I'm sure I'll be posting a lot of questions of my own.

Cheers!

:mug:

I'd guess that if you are making a Mac and Jack clone, you are from the PNW. :)

Welcome to the hobby, or as some more correctly put it, obsession!

Actually I'm an east coaster (NB Canada). The guy that got me into it is a PNW'r and he swears by Mac N Jacks and since I can't get it here that's the first thing we tried to clone :).

Speaking of which does anyone know of a place local to Fredericton/Saint John where a guy can buy some whole-grains (or milled, I'm not choosy), and hops/beer making supplies? It seems Fredericton is sadly devoid of these things (at least so far as I've been able to discern) and internet ordering is killing me with shipping ;).

I was lucky enough to get a glass carboy with stopper for an excellent price at a local shop called Vintners (Hi Guys!) and I'm thinking of getting that $83.00 food grade pump kit from them too, but they only do wine. Not to say that doing wine is an "only", and I've made a batch of very fine wine there ;).

Actually I'm an east coaster (NB Canada). The guy that got me into it is a PNW'r and he swears by Mac N Jacks and since I can't get it here that's the first thing we tried to clone :).

It is a good beer so you can't go wrong there. Good luck with it! Hope it turns out. :mug:

Mike

Oh my FSM. It's all over. I've found apfelwein and CVCA on here. I'm going to have to buy four more carboys. I can see this becoming a serious obsession. 30 US gallons isn't a bad amount of booze to have hanging around, right? That wouldn't make me an alcoholic or anything? :D

Aaaaand I just pitched my IPA at 65 degrees F :)... can't wait to hear the gurgling and bubbling. On the way home I bought a bottling wand and another siphon *sigh*. My siphon got pooched on my first batch and never really worked right. Wouldn't maintain any sort of seal at all. Let's hope this new autosiphon does me right ;).

YES!! :) Woot! It's been a good day. I had the day off so I did a little research and came up with a gold mine! :D.

1.) I got a place locally (like, in my hometown locally) to buy grains, hops and brewing ingredients (called Noble Grape :)).

2.) I finally found a beer thief and learned how to use my hydrometer. Now I just have to buy a beer thief and use my hydrometer.

3.) My IPA is bubbling away nicely and has the top of the primary bowed out like a pregnant woman so I know it's got good seals all around ;)... hopefully this staves off infection ;).

So in total I know I'll be going AG, beer will be *MUCH* cheaper to make (like, half the price or less due to shipping costs I've been running into), and I can finally do OG/FG readings soon ;D.

Things are looking up in my brewing world.

Back