My first liquid yeast order WLP090 AND WLP028

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkncode

Reaction score
After using only dry yeast and having to do a starter recently I decided to order some liquid yeasts for up and comming brews.

An online homebrew shop i use has a monthly preorder for white labs yeast so should get reasonably fresh. Sort of planning ahead since im not sure when their monthly cycle is but better to get the yeast ordered and on its way.

Since I am currently doing a few higher ABV beers I decided to order:
San Diego Super Yeast - WLP090
Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast - WLP028

Any comments on these?
I'm also hoping to freeze some for future batches too so something rlse to try and perfect. This homebrew hobby is a slipery slope...

Absolutely love wlp090! Have used many times with great success, with American ales mostly. It is the most consistent one I use.

I have used wlp028 twice, both on Scottish ales and liked it also. I don't have as much experience with it as with SDS.

Read some on wlp028 as I have heard that at a temp near 62° (can't recall if it's above or below) it can give a cherry type flavor. But either should be tolerant in high abv beers.

Love 090! It's a monster that will rip through a beer in about 3 days. It accentuates the malt slightly in a APA or IPA compared to 1056/001/S-05, making for a nice balance.
It's one of my go-to yeasts.

Latest posts

Back