My first Kombucha, day 6, tastes a bit watered down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone45

Reaction score
Hello!

It's my first time making Kombucha! So far, so good. I've been following the instructions posted here: "The Simple Guide to Kickass Kombucha" and created my own scooby successfully.

It's now day 6 of the process, and I tasted my batch with a straw. It tastes fine -- mildly sweet and not too vinegary yet. But it also tastes a bit weak. Is that normal?

Thanks!
Bret

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say based on your perception. But yes, it starts of dark and rich, and becomes lighter and weaker as it ferments.
Got #s?
pH?
Brix?
Basic Recipe?

Hi @rushpapers !

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just a beginner, so I don't have pH or Brix. Here's the recipe that I followed: link. (Sorry, I attempted to paste this link before, but I failed.)

You need to use a recipe based on weight. 4 bags or 1 tbsp of tea is not accurate. 1/4 cup of sugar is not accurate. Get a scale and translate into either grams or ounces (wt).

When I first started I was told to use 6-7 bags per gal. since I had a scale and wanted to use loose leaf. I weighed 3-4 different mfg bags and ALL came in at 2 grams. My 2 gal batches use 14 grams each of green and black tea. I use the pure cane juice sugar in the green bag from Aldi and 1 cup is ~ 225 grams. I use 500 grams in 2 gal ,most use 450. I like the tea flavor with 28 grams of tea in 2 gal. You have to remember that the sugar is not for you but the culture.

Tea bags also are comprised of lower quality fannings, not whole leaf. Then there is the temp and length of steep. No tea should be steeped for more than 10 mins. Black tea can be steeped at higher temp than green tea, and things like cloves and coriander can be boiled.

Thanks for all of the feedback! So it seems like the recipe I was using may not have been the best for a beginner. Besides hotpepper13's suggestions, can anyone recommend a good, accurate tutorial for a beginner? Thanks!!

Best thing is to keep going, make notes of your progress and setbacks, and never give up. If someone hands you everything, and makes it easy, you won’t experience as much, and as a result, won’t learn.

Also, spend $15 to $20 on a ph meter, and buy some 7.01 pH buffer solution to calibrate. This is the first model I ever bought, now at $23 and worth every penny.
26617DFF-AE6C-4F19-9A99-58B9BF61A71B.jpeg

Last edited:
The easiest way is to have a fermenter with a spigot so you can sample without disturbing the scoby. I sample mine on day 14 and mostly bottle in a day or two depending on the temp. I keep mine in the 74-78* range. The Big Book of Booch says 86* but it finishes too fast with more of an acidic bite. I like the taste when between 2.85 and 3 pH

Back