My First IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a couple years but have never brewed an IPA. I decided it was time and created this puppy below. I would appreciate any feedback.

Batch Size 6 gallons
Boil Size 7.2 gallons for 60mins
Efficiency 70%
OG 1.069
FG 1.015 (banking on a bit lower due to low mash temp)
IBU 79
SRM 6.5
Mash Temp: 149 for 90mins

Grain Bill:
13.5lb Two-Row
1lb Munich
1lb Crystal 20
.5lb Wheat

Hops:
1oz Warrior (17.1%) @60 mins
.6oz Amarillo (8%) @20mins
.6oz Cascade (6%) @20mins
.6oz Citra (11%) @20mins
.7oz Amarillo (8%) @10mins
.7oz Cascade (6%) @10mins
.7oz Citra (11%) @10mins
.7oz Amarillo (8%) @0mins
.7oz Cascade (6%) @0mins
.7oz Citra (11%) @0mins
1oz Amarillo (8%) Dry
1oz Cascade (6%) Dry
1oz Citra (11%) Dry

I'll use US-05 Yeast and ferment at about 68 degrees.

Six ounces of hops in the last 20 minutes seems a little high. I think I'd move some of that somewhere in the 60-30 min range, and move some of the Amarillo or Cascade to a FWH addition. Looks like a hearty, tang-bittery brew.

I like all the late additions. Looks like a solid recipe. Expect to lose about a 1/2 gallon of wort if using whole hops.

The only possible tweak I might make (and it is only based on my preferences) is that cascade, amarillo and citra together will give you a super citrus bomb. Something else, like Columbus or Simcoe in there if you have them might be a nice counterpoint to all that grapefruit and tangerine. Then again, you may love all that citrus!

What about it

1oz warrior @60
1oz cascade @20
1oz amarillo @10
.5oz cascade @10
1oz amarillo @0
.5oz cascade @0
1oz amarillo dry
1oz citra dry

maybe back the two row by a pound

I like your first one better. I definitely would not move any of the late additions to 30-60, unless you like wasting good flavor/aroma hops for bittering. If anything I would move the 10 min additions to 5, but it isn't really necessary.

Citra/Amarillo/cascade is a great combination. One of my normal IPAs has a similar late hopping schedule as yours and it is delicious.

It'll be super hoppy, but if that's what you like then go for it. I've never gone above 4.5 oz total for late additions since that always seems to be enough for me, but then again I've never really ventured past that amount. I'd say brew it as is and drink it fresh!

What about it

1oz warrior @60
1oz cascade @20
1oz amarillo @10
.5oz cascade @10
1oz amarillo @0
.5oz cascade @0
1oz amarillo dry
1oz citra dry

maybe back the two row by a pound

I like the original a LOT better! IPAs are not about bittering (you can even cut the warrior a tad to 70 IBUs total) but all about late hops for the flavor and aroma! I like the first one much better. This recipe is "meh" because you have an ounce of bittering hops at 60, but nothing besides 1 ounce of cascade at 20, and nothing at all at 15 minutes or 5 minutes.

Well looks like it's set i'll stick with my gut and go with the original. Thanks Yooper cutting the IBU's back might be a good idea to play more on the flavor/aroma.

Six ounces of hops in the last 20 minutes seems a little high. I think I'd move some of that somewhere in the 60-30 min range, and move some of the Amarillo or Cascade to a FWH addition. Looks like a hearty, tang-bittery brew.

Bad advice here IMO. Burst hopped in the last 20 minutes makes the best IPAs. Don't waste such wonderful late-kettle hops by boiling the shiznit out of them. Your original recipe looks great. I wouldn't change a thing... that's going to make a fine IPA indeed.

Back