My first IPA recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpingComet

Reaction score
Hey Folks.
I've been doing some extract brewing with recipe kits made my local supply store and I think I'm ready to start developing my own extract recipes with the hope of eventually getting that down, then eventually transferring my recipes to AG.
This is my first stab at an IPA. I'm looking to make something with some tropical flavor. This is for my 5 gallon fermenter. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Fermentables
6 lb Light LME (70.6%)
2 lb Amber DME (23.5%)

Steeping grains
.25 lbs Crystal Malt 20L (2.9%)
.25 lbs Crystal Malt 60L (2.9%)

Hops
1 oz Nugget (60 min)
1 oz Citra (30 min)
1 oz Mosaic (20 min)
1 oz Citra (10 min)
.5 oz Mosaic (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (flameout)
1 oz citra (dry hop)

Yeast
White Labs Brett Trois WLP644

I'd take a majority of the hop additions and save them for less than 5 minutes and dry hop more. Also Crystal 60 probably not necessary. Looks like a tasty hop combo tho :mug:

Last edited:
I agree with jjw5015

Also not sure the amber extract is necessary unless you want a darker IPA. Personally i like my IPAs as dry and crisp as possible as to not get in the way of the hops. All extract has some degree of crystal malt in it already. Steeping any might be overkill.

get rid of the amber extract. Amber extract has a decent portion of crystal in it. Far too much for any IPA. Youd basically be making a hoppy irish red

the 30min citra you wont taste much of anything from. I would move it to 15min or later

Thanks.
I threw in the crystal and amber because I wanted something that while hoppy still had a complex malt backbone. So if the amber is too much, would you suggest substituting it with light DME? And if I don't have the amber and go with something lighter, should I hold onto the crystal, or is that still too much? Maybe ditch the Crystal 60L but keep the 20?
Thanks again.

maybe steep Vienna or light Munich for a malty backbone. You could always take a page from the playbook across the pond and steep some Roasted malts for color adjustment to get you a deep golden IPA.

All of this input is terrific. Thanks.

So perhaps something like this?

Fermentables
6 lb Light LME (72.7%)
2 lb Light DME (24.2%)

Steeping grains
.25 lbs Roasted Barley (3%)

Hops
1 oz Nugget (60 min)
1 oz Citra (15 min)
1 oz Mosaic (15 min)
1 oz Citra (10 min)
.5 oz Mosaic (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (flameout)
2.5 oz citra (dry hop)

Yeast
White Labs Brett Trois WLP644

Roasted Barley? Brett?

Are you sure this is an IPA?

I'm new to this, so could you please explain why those aren't a good idea?
I thought the Brett Trois would help bring out some of the tropical flavors I'm looking to bring out. Is that a bad idea?
The roasted barley was just to add a little color and stronger malt backbone, but I'm certainly open to other options (someone above mentioned Vienna or light Munich).
It's all a work in progress and I appreciate the input.

IMO

Hop bill looks good. Take notes and change on next batch if you like

I would just do extract and forget about steeping grains. Extract will not ferment all the way out and leave plenty of maltiness (too much for me). If you want to adjust the color use some dehusked roasted malt like carafa III. Are you using a program to calculate color, ibu, SG, etc? If so plug in a bit of Carafa III to get you to the color you want.

IMO

Hop bill looks good. Take notes and change on next batch if you like

I would just do extract and forget about steeping grains. Extract will not ferment all the way out and leave plenty of maltiness (too much for me). If you want to adjust the color use some dehusked roasted malt like carafa III. Are you using a program to calculate color, ibu, SG, etc? If so plug in a bit of Carafa III to get you to the color you want.

Thanks. I am using the calculator on brewersfriend.com, which has been helpful, though I'm never sure on the accuracy of any free service, so if anyone uses something they find more reliable I would appreciate it.

Also not sure the Brett is going to give you what you are looking for. Have you had a Brett IPA before? I would let the hops provide the tropical and use something like US-05

Also not sure the Brett is going to give you what you are looking for. Have you had a Brett IPA before? I would let the hops provide the tropical and use something like US-05

I have never had a Brett IPA, only read about them. Biting off a bit too much for my first try, I suppose?:smack:

Nothing wrong with experimenting, but when first starting out I think it's more important to keep it simple and work on creating a consistent, repeatable process, that will make it easy to find any flaws you may taste.

Listen to @jjw5015. Roasted barley is going to impart a very distinctive, roasty character. Brett is going to impart a barnyard, "horse blanket" character.

If you want a little colour, with just a touch of malt backbone, go with something like 4-8 oz of Crystal 40 or 60 (but not both) and leave it at that. Use US-05, it's an aggressive, reliable, clean fermenter. Rehydrate it according to the manufacturer's instructions, and keep the beer temperature (not ambient) at around 62 - 65° F, and you should end up with a really nice IPA.

Have you had brett in any beers before? It's not that it can't work in an IPA, but it's a very distinct flavor and will not taste like a normal IPA would. If you do decide to go for a more traditional IPA yeast profile, you can't go wrong with US05.

Thanks everyone for all of the input.
So to review, this is what I think I've settled on.
Fermentables
6 lb Light LME
2 lb Light DME

Steeped
.25 lb Crystal 40L

Hops
1 oz Nugget (60 min)
1 oz Citra (15 min)
1 oz Mosaic (15 min)
1 oz Citra (10 min)
.5 oz Mosaic (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (flameout)
2.5 oz Citra (dry hop)

Yeast
Safale US-05.

Look good?

Now we're talking!

I'd still move those hop additions toward the end, but that's a minor point. I've dramatically simplified my IPA hop schedules. I do one addition at 60:00 or FWH for virtually all my bitterness (usually Warrior or Magnum), then dump the rest into the whirlpool, and a bunch more after fermentation as dry hops. Honestly, you're not going to taste any difference at all between your 15 minute Citra and your 10 minute Citra (for example), so why complicate your life?

Thanks everyone for all of the input.
So to review, this is what I think I've settled on.
Fermentables
6 lb Light LME
2 lb Light DME

Steeped
.25 lb Crystal 40L

Hops
1 oz Nugget (60 min)
1 oz Citra (15 min)
1 oz Mosaic (15 min)
1 oz Citra (10 min)
.5 oz Mosaic (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (flameout)
2.5 oz Citra (dry hop)

Yeast
Safale US-05.

Look good?

Yeah, I'd simplify and move the 10 and 5 min additions to flameout. why .5 mosaic and 2.5oz citra (leftovers from a prior brew perhaps?) I'd just do the full oz of mosaic (flameout) and maybe full 2 oz citra (dry hop).

FWIW using ONLY brett in a beer is completely different than a mixed fermentation with sacch. The mixed fermentations is where the funky, tart, horseblanket, leather, etc flavors come from.

100% brett beers are basically a fruit bowl and make great clean, fruity IPAs if you construct them right. I think WLP644 is mostly known for a ripe pineapple flavor. You also need to keep in mind that 100% brett beers usually need a larger pitching rate and minimal aeration

Now we're talking!

I'd still move those hop additions toward the end, but that's a minor point. I've dramatically simplified my IPA hop schedules. I do one addition at 60:00 or FWH for virtually all my bitterness (usually Warrior or Magnum), then dump the rest into the whirlpool, and a bunch more after fermentation as dry hops. Honestly, you're not going to taste any difference at all between your 15 minute Citra and your 10 minute Citra (for example), so why complicate your life?

This is what I do, too. I figure my desired IBUs entirely from the 60 minute addition, then dump in several oz to steep after the wort has cooled to 180 or so. Reliable bitterness, and loads of flavor.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I cracked open the first bottle last night and it was terrific. Not all that bitter, but loads of tropical fruit flavor. I got mango and pineapple predominantly while the wife said she enjoyed some citrus notes.

Back