My first infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorribleCatfish

Reaction score
I dumped some yeast the other day, then went downstairs this morning and noticed I had left the airlock off of the fermenter. Here was my reward:

infection_003.JPG

How does it smell? Could be an interesting experiment.

How does it smell? Could be an interesting experiment.

A little Guinnessey...which actually has me thinking of scrapping my plans to dump, and opt to bottle it up for sh!ts and giggles. I'm just not sure I want to take the time bottling for what will most likely taste like anus.

Well, if you've got the bottles, why not? Also, if you've got some PET bottles (2 liter, 20 oz, etc), you could always dump it in there and forget about it for a while. What's the worst that happens, then? You lose some carbing sugar? The bottles blow? The alternative is either dumping it anyway or, potentially, having a great, interesting brew.

And, Guinness uses some sour beer in their recipe, from what I've read and heard. This could potentially be a large batch of pre-soured beer for a unique stout! Again, all you'd need are some PET bottles and a closet or basement.

My one suggestion is to take the gravity over a period of a couple of weeks before bottling. If it is bacterial, it could POTENTIALLY continue to eat the dextrins and yeast left-overs and cause bottle bombs if it hasn't stopped.

Some infections just live on the top of the brew and leave the rest unaffected. Go ahead and bottle and see what happens. It might be beer.

Looks like Lactobacillus...might be interesting.
I think lacto would die out shortly after the yeast took hold. It can't stand much abv, from what I've read. If it is lacto, it should be done eating and you may have a sour but very nice brew!

I learned today that I will never, ever, dump my beer. Almost 2 weeks in the bottle, I decided to see what was going on with this batch. While it is far from my best, I've made far worse.

I'm just going to be safe and drink these really fast...that shouldn't be a problem. I've got more chilling right now so I can make a dent in them tonight :)

I learned today that I will never, ever, dump my beer. Almost 2 weeks in the bottle, I decided to see what was going on with this batch. While it is far from my best, I've made far worse.

I'm just going to be safe and drink these really fast...that shouldn't be a problem. I've got more chilling right now so I can make a dent in them tonight :)

5UrwzgdtHioxfo0voMzOgXjEo1_500.jpg

Latest posts

Back