My first homebrewed beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moveth

Reaction score
Hallo, I am planing to try to brew a beer for the first time. I have chosen a recipe of an all grain Belgian Trippel (here's a link: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/120652/belgian-trippel) and I want to ask for any advices, because it will be my first time brewing and I have alot of questiont about the brewing proses itself, like:
What is the best mashing temperature for that recipe?
Is it a too dificult/complex recipe to try for the first time? and if so, where could I find simple beer recipes?
Does BIAB is a good method to brew? is it better or worst that the "false bottom" method?
Do I have to do an yeast starter?

I'll be glad for any help, thanks alot:mug:

Preface: This response is only an opinion.

So you have never brewed beer before?

BIAB is fine, but it might be a less painful and more enjoyable experience to try this recipe as an extract brew. Beer quality is achieved through excellent sanitation and fermentation. Before you worry about mashing, I would attempt to produce a batch of wort using quality filtered water and a quality liquid malt extract. Your goal is to achieve a desired volume of wort at the desired specific gravity. This can prove to be more challenging than expected...especially if you are trying to mash grains on your very first attempt.

Do you need to do a yeast starter? On a beer this strong, you will not get full attenuation without pitching the proper amount of yeast. So yes, if you want good fermentation you will need to do a starter. Alternatively, you could pitch multiple tubes/packs of yeast.

I recommend you start with an easier beer. Trippels are good, but they require a bit more skill (note the above post - you will be pushing the limits of the yeast).

KISS at first

There is a BIAB board that most new brewers start with an Amarillo American Pale Ale. It's a proven BIAB recipe with ingredients readily available. This way you can focus on your process, measure you efficiencies, evaporation rates, trub loss and fermentor loss. This is important so that you can take into consideration your equipment and process when making recipes.

Consistency is more important than efficiencies, IMO - and often avowed by many on this board.

I am a big fan of using calculators or software to eliminate the guess work. There are a number recommended here. I've used Biabacus and BeerSmith and like both. I've plugged in numbers in ones like priceless and others on beer sites under their resources.

Great that you are starting with all grain BIAB. I started with extract and in retrospect, if I had to do it gain, I would start with all grain BIAB. I was intimidated with things like mash and lauter tuns, sparging, mash temp etc. BIAB is straight forward and forgiving. Once I went all grain BIAB, I developed a much greater appreciation and understanding of beer.

PS, Dry yeast is reliable and easier - consider starting with dry yeast and once you have nailed down some consistencies and confidence, then up your yeast game.

The timer just went off so my Dubbel Ale Mash is done and time to boil. I've got about 20 BIABs under my belt and yet I don't think I am ready for something as big as a trippel yet. The grain bill on this dubbel is my biggest to date.

First time? Go to one of those vendor sites like more beer dot com and buy an extract kit.
Seriously, keep it simple, if you have success with the kit then you can move forward.

Back