My first home brew DIY projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akgator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a home brew rookie but I love the DIY aspect of all my hobbies. I thought I'd share my DIY projects for my first real post here. I made four crates. I kept two for myself and gave two to my friend who got me hooked on brewing. They are 1/2" plywood using finger joint construction. The lids are 1/4" ply painted with chalkboard paint to record the style, brew date, etc. Each crate holds 24 12oz bottles. The wort chiller I made because my local store wanted a little too much for what I thought as a simple item. I save about $50 doing it myself. I can't wait to brew and build more!

Crate 1.jpg

Crate 2.jpg

Wort chiller.jpg

Wow you got skills. I love the black board, that can be used for so many things in brewing. Brew day check list, hops, ect...

Those zip ties might melt and break in the boil. I'd take off the ones that aren't near the top. Other than that, very impressive!

Those zip ties might melt and break in the boil. I'd take off the ones that aren't near the top. Other than that, very impressive!

I'd also add that the inlet and outlet are usually bent over so the hang over to the outside of the pot. That way if the connection leaks, it won't end up leaking into your wort.

Akgator, love the crates, I'm following this thread for when u post the plans. Would love to make a few myself

Very nice work. Those are almost exactly what I made. Except I didn't feel like making the box joints! I like the blackboard paint idea as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wooden-beer-crates-371297/

Right back at ya on the quality of your work. I think the only difference between what you did and I did is the method to join the sides and the chalkboard paint. I chose box joints because I wanted it to look like a crate!

It's actually easier to make several boxes at once than just one, isn't it? I think my dividers may be a little taller too. It was a pain to cut slots taller than my saw blade. I may go to the router table next time. So many projects, so little time...

Back