My first hard cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEREKsims

Reaction score
Just brewed my first hard cider. Hope everything turns out ok.

1 gallon martinellis apple cider
1 pound of organic honey
1 packet of Nottingham Ale yeast.

OG: 1.070

Gonna let it set for 2 weeks and bottle it back in the original bottles after I clean and sanitize them and then enjoy

Just a simple hard cider recipe. Anything I missed or anyone got any notes or anything for me?.

Remember, this is my first hard cider.

Next I have plans to make a cherry hard cider.
20190706_012353.jpg
20190706_011542.jpg

Congrats! Was your honey pasteurized or raw? If raw, it might contain wild yeasts and/or other organisms that can affect the fermentation.

Ok. I am gonna be honest. Had no idea what a cyser was. I kept seeing it and thought it was a typo or auto correct. Then I googled it. Lol knowledge. Ok so I made a Cyser.

Ok so I have questions.

Two weeks not long enough? 4 weeks?

Would racking into a secondary fermentation help at all with anything? Like clarity? Which I dont really care about but just wondering.

My original gravity was 1.070. I put 1 pound of honey in it with a Nottingham ale yeast. I guess what I am asking is how much alcohol is it gonna end up with and how long till it take to get there?

Either way I plan to set one in the original bottle it came it and age it for quite a while. But I want to drink what's left over as soon as possible.

Congrats! Was your honey pasteurized or raw? If raw, it might contain wild yeasts and/or other organisms that can affect the fermentation.
It was raw. How would it affect the fermintation?
20190707_085044.jpg
17997.jpg

A month minimum. And most of us on here use raw honey. At two weeks rack (siphon) it off the lees, taste a tiny bit and then wait 2 more weeks and taste it again. If you read thru the mead forum you'll find alot of brewers here that let it age months. I personally let my ciders sit at least 3 months.

Back