My first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decibelz

Reaction score
I need help with bottling I've been reading and well I want it carbonated but I'm seeing that people's bottles are exploding on them my OG IS 1.053 Is this going to blow if I prime it with let's say 4 oz priming suger ? Or should I use less or even something different ? Any idea would be cool thanks

OG does not matter...it's your FG that is important. How long has it been fermenting? Do you have an FG reading? It will be low - probably under 1.000. 4oz of priming sugar will not be a problem for a 5 gallon batch as long as you've reached terminal gravity.

BTW, there is a forum here specifically for ciders - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/

I didn't add any primping sugar and I let mine sit for over 3 weeks in the fermentor. Once I bottled it carbonated a lot over 3 days and I had to put them all in the fridge out of fear of bottle bombs. You can stove-top pasteurize to kill the yeast or you can use chemicals also. I don't remember which chemicals they are but go to the cider fourm like JLem suggested and you'll get all the information you need there.

I started it on the 7th so I still have some time right in the primary my air lock is still showing signs of activity also. I haven't checked the gravity yet I feel it's to early to play with just yet . But yeah I'll go check out that link now thanks guys !

IDK what kind of apple juice you used but all apple juice has a lot of sugar so it will keep fermenting pretty much as long as you let it. It just depends on how dry you want your cider. Look up back-sweetening for when you're bottling. Just be careful. With all this sugar bottle bombs are very easily accomplished when bottling cider if you're not careful. Good luck!

Well I used real cider from a farm buy my house I made sure it had no additives to it like potassium sorbate and some others I just don't have them in front of me right now I'm at work lol I also added 4oz of brown sugar to it also but I read up more on this after work thanks guys

Latest posts

Back