My First BIAB Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please tell me what you like to see in this stand.

I should say first that your stand design is beautifully simple, count me in on the people interested in plans or a kit.

As you are designing the stand I might suggest building in mounting points for control panels. Adding a VESA tilt-swivel monitor option, possibly one on each side, would let people mount their Brew-Boss or ElectricBrewing BCS controllers somewhere that is easy to reach but out of the "splash" zone. Even a simple iPad grabbing arm is nice so that you can watch your timers and check your recipe.

You might want to also think about sizing the storage side to match an easily obtainable box or utility cabinet of some sort.

After that I would only be able to suggest convenience features:

1. The upright for the hoist would be a great place to include a horizontal bar for hanging your silicone tubing vertically when not in use.

2. I see water filters on the stands, you could plumb in a pot-filling faucet on the upright, or add one of those tall flexible wash-out nozzle deals to the prep table on the side.

3. The grain mill could be on a removable mount that would connect to the hoist upright so that you don't have to set it directly onto your kettle.

The design is great, I think if you focus on keeping the additional features modular then you will be able to give the custom touches people want without pushing up the base cost of entry. 80-20 Tubing for the uprights and legs would be great for this and might not add much to the cost.

I'm stoked! I know this is a ways away but any idea on a price point for the basic setup? I'll start saving up. :)

I am thinking plans around 25 is that too much? I am building the web site for instant download not sure on the stand kits trying to make them start around 100 plus shipping. No burner and accessories just the basic stand.

In the mean time finished the grain mill table today I bought the wrong electrical switch and cover will be completely finished. Now we have a matching set. :mug:

20150703_130405.jpg

20150711_095809.jpg

20150717_094821.jpg

20150717_094832.jpg

20150719_161601.jpg

20150719_161645.jpg

In the mean time finished the grain mill table today I bought the wrong electrical switch and cover will be completely finished. Now we have a matching set. :mug:

You could toss a small shipping scale under the grain mill to weigh your grains post-crush: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00739RFHM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The display could mount nicely under the lip of the table.

Regarding the pricing, I might charge a little less for the plans and bump the margin up a bit on the stand. Even a basic shelving unit can cost that much if it is heavy enough for a 20 gallon pot. Your design is much nicer!

If you're worried about over-pricing the kit then my suggestion would be to use modular pricing:

Base Frame - $75
Ratcheting Hoist - $30
Diamond Plate Surfaces - $40
Banjo Burner with Regulator - $100
Water Plumbing with Filter - $75
Pull-Down Faucet - $150
Counter-Flow Chiller - $? (Are you fabricating these?)
Chugger Pump - $150

Etc.

I think it is completely fair to make a buck or three on something like this. There are many people (myself included) who would happily pay more for a design that has the bugs worked out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, I second less on the plans, and perhaps more for an actual unit. Thinking you may sell 3-4 times more plans at $10 than $25. Another feature would be that the cost of plan is credited toward the cost of a unit. Buyers could purchase plans, then apply that toward the purchase of a stand, both for informational purposes, and the guy that decides building is not for him.

Pricing is funny, the extreme example would be free plans, and a booming stand business thriving off the exposure of the "free" plan gimmick....idk

Kinda like pricing so low as to lose money on every sale, but making it up in volume. That's a joke :)

Good job and that scale is a lot better than the one I am using definitely be looking to add that. The thought behind the stand is a DIY kit not have considered building it with all the items or ready to go. I was considering this kit/ plans to use existing burners etc. to make it very cost effective. Maybe I should do both. Any other thoughts? How about the rest of the people out there?

If you haven't already, it would be a huge help to include some consideration for directly mounting a burner.

Even better would be to offer several burner mounts as options. There are a few popular sizes that could each be adapted to be modular. Having the steel frame be part of your kit would save someone a fair bit of money over buying a free-standing burner.

The Bayou Classic BG-10, BG-12, and BG-14 seem to be the most common choices, it would be nice to see something for each.

The stands already are designed with all the popular bayou , blichmanns and other popular burners in the plan it tells you which burner to use. Thanks for watching over me. I need all the help I can to help everyone. :mug:

I really like the storage and the extra holes from the bed frame to hang things off like a spoon, hop baskets and thermometer. I don't lose as much stuff during my brew as I use to

Working on a bolt together kit any suggestions

What material are you using?

I am partial to the look of carriage bolts, however it might be easiest to design it using boltless shelving uprights and rails. Boltless could also give the user some flexibility on shelf heights depending on their burner setup.

I don't know what happened to bearded brews but the link to Walmart shelves was helpful even if I don't go that route I know others will appreciate it please repost . Good or bad comments are welcome it a DIY kit planed it that way so don't be shy. :D

Woke up this morning and found that we have broken 7,000 views that's amazing. Update the first series of biabstands plans is almost done been working non stop. Here is a page not proof read yet.

BIABStANDS MD-1.jpg

I sent you a PM Whistler. Cant wait to finish these plans and see the stands being built. Is there anyone out there already building any of these stands? If so how is it going? :mug:

Wont be long finished the rough draft and now in proof reading hopefully will be getting a list of people that would like to purchase plans for the Series one and need to see who I promised plans that wants series one remember there are 3 different stands.

Ended up going on vacation and forgot to repost my pm:

What I was suggesting with the Botless would be to piece together the frame from kits like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edsal-36-W...Black/35584046

They make them in different sizes, but I believe they all share common rivet locations so you should be able to swap in and out parts. It might be possible for you to combine the pieces from one 18x36 and one 12x24 into two or three full frames.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to the progress.

as someone whose built a few dozen stands with hoist's built in, best set ups I've built is when you add a round tube into a square tube, creating a dowel pin effect with two end plates so the two surfaces rotate so smoothy.

Also, built in burner mounts with separate / removable wind screen is nice.

On my personal stand I used a solid round bar grate, which makes the stand so much more versatile, I can use any size pot, which has made it my turkey fryer around the holidays, its been a camp stove on camping trips, its great!

new stand 1.jpg

new stand 2.jpg

new stand 3.jpg

new stand 4.jpg

new stand 5.jpg

new stand 6.jpeg

new stand 7.jpeg

new stand 8.jpeg

Be patient a new plan already in the CAD with a longer table and leveling feet. I will put it in the booklet as well as other suggestions. I figure this will be a free add on to the the plans on the website. Hopefully good news by this weekend. Keep those suggestions coming I love every one of them. I have finished BIABSTANDS.com series 1 and have someone proof reading theother series stands. 5 more to go plus the bonus items. Here a page not proofed of what it will look like

BIABStANDS MD-1.jpg

Great News finished the PLANS!!!! Off to be copyrighted tomorrow Here are the covers. Website on the way!!!! :rockin:

BIABStANDS MD-1.jpg

BIABStANDS MD-2 Final.jpg

BIABStANDS MD-3.jpg

SWMBO want to extend the brewery lord help us. Website is almost done will be up and running by the end of the week hopefully Friday and then comes the kits cant wait. Papa needs the brewery funds.. :mug:

SWMBO wants to extend the brewery

What are you doing wasting your time here? If SWMBO ever even casually mentions "expanding the brewery" you get your sorry ass into the stout kettles check-out line before she has a chance to change her mind :D

Back