My First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicRat

Reaction score
I've wanted to get involved in brewing for the longest time and I've finally got my first batch brewed, fermented, and bottled. I jumped right into all-grain and my first batch was from the amber recipe in Palmer's book. I taste tested about 4 ounces at the end of the bottling process and I think this is going to turn out very well!
I'd done a great deal of reading for the last year or so but was still pretty nervous about screwing something up but everything went more smoothly than I had even hoped. One glitch that I will learn from - I didn't invest in the wort chiller and went with the ice bath but I didn't get enough ice and it took forever to cool the wort. It was still a couple degrees higher than it should have been when I pitched but I think this is going to be a real good first batch!

Nice work Magicrat. It does take a good amount of ice to cool a five gallon kettle. I sit coffee cans and plastic water cans out on real cold nights and let them freeze. Store them in a couple five day coolers and on brew day I got plenty. I'm pretty tight so I will save the 50 on the copper and get 50lbs of 2 row.

Cool idea, but it won't work for me here in Florida. If we had an extra freezer (which we may soon), I might try doing something like this to cut down on buying ice, but for now I'm just going to be buying lots of ice on brew day.

Where are you in FL? I am in Fort Myers. Congrats on jumping in with both feet! I used my counter flow chiller for the first time yesterday. I am amazed at it!

I once made a batch and had no means to cool it. I placed the lid on the brew kettle and let it stand for the night. It turned out really well.

But I would save your money for a CFC, or find a chiller on craigslist. I have gotten 90% of my equipment off of craigslist.

I am sure it will be fine. It is beer and pretty much caused civilization, they didn't have any fancy copper or freezers to use. :) Welcome to homebrewing!

Back