My first batch two day progression

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessmosis

Reaction score
Hey guy, first thread here, started my first batch two days ago and have been worried about my batch fermenting. I pitched my yeast in about 85 degrees F and was a little worried it might of slowed the process up...I dunno, I also didn't account for needing so much corn sugar to brew 5 gallons with so i ended up doing half corn sugar and half cane sugar. I put a little under what was needed to fill the rest up with cane sugar for as I've read that it's a little more potent. I used my hydrometer and before i pitched the yeast it read about 1.044(I wanted it a little stronger but figured this would be a great start) and went ahead and threw in the yeast. 24 hours passed and i still saw no sign of bubbles coming from the airlock, so I got a little nosy and poped the top for a second to see the yeast have been going at it quite well. After 48 hours i figured, hey, why not do a hydrometer test and see how its going. Poured it and it created a foamy head and looked a nice golden cooler to it(I'm doing a export pilsner). It has a reading of 1.026 so I know the yeast is at work. It seems to be working faster than I imagined, but it smelled liked beer and tastes like it. So far so good I believe, too bad I don't have a good seal on the top of my tank to show me signs of fermentation, maybe I'll invest in a new lid later on down the road. I've attached a picture of the sample I took today, I believe everything is going well, also if you have any thoughts of the picture below, let me know, thanks!

IMAG0269.jpg

Picture looks good, but don't open the bucket again for another 2 weeks minimum, no need to. I use a flashlight against the side of my bucket to see if I'm getting a krausen layer. No air bubbles doesn't mean it's not working.
Why did you add the sugar, to up the ABV and dry it out some? Or was that a part of your recipe?

Congratulations, you are on your way to a home brew.
If you get a new lid find one that will stay on. Seriously, leave it alone for a couple of weeks. every time you open that lid you are inviting nasties to enter your bucket and infect your beer.

Pitching a bit hot would make fermentation go a bit faster - not slower.

I also didn't account for needing so much corn sugar to brew 5 gallons with so i ended up doing half corn sugar and half cane sugar

Can you clarify what you mean here? Did you throw corn sugar into your brew?

24 hours passed and i still saw no sign of bubbles coming from the airlock [...] too bad I don't have a good seal on the top of my tank

The reason you didn't see bubbles in your airlock is likely because you don't have a good seal. The CO2 is going to escape your fermentation vessel the easiest way it can. Ideally, this will be a sanitized airlock but in your case it sounds like its just leaving through the top of your vessel. Its not really a big deal, your SG is dropping, so you are making beer!

Thanks for the flashlight tip, I'll have to try that out next time i get curious. I just couldn't help myself due to being anxious on my first batch, I don't plan on opening it again and will just stick to testing it with the hydrometer. I like to give my beer a bit of a kick, was going for around 5%-6% ABV. Also I watch "Craigtube" on youtube and I like his style of brewing, he makes things simple and breaks it down, so I figured I stick to his method for my first batch.

I wouldn't even worry about testing it again for two weeks. Let it do it's thing, seems like it is coming along nicely.

It dropped from 1.044-1.026 in two days, I know the activity is high for the first couple days, but think it'll take a full two weeks to finish off the rest?

When the yeast is done it goes back and cleans up waste products it left during fermentation, give it time to do its thing and you will be rewarded with a better tasting brew.

No, but the yeast release other chemicals as they are eating the sugars to create the alcohol, the extra time allows them to go back and digest those other chemicals that helps give you a cleaner tasting beer, not to mention, gravity will work its magic and give you a nice yeast cake at the bottom that will produce a clearer beer. Patience is key, though it is difficult to practice.

Thanks for the feedback, waiting for your first homebrew is dreadful due to not already having some on hand. Also im going to be bottling vs. kegging cause it was a cheaper start up cost, the longer you wait doesn't decrease your chance in getting carbonation in the bottles?

Not at all. It takes about three weeks minimum to get them carbed up, but it'll work just fine.

Man i'm with you on this... first batch on saturday... been so tempted to take a reading... ***MMUUSST RESIST***

I already want to make my second batch... wifey isn't too on board yet...

Good luck and good brew!

I don't think taking one reading to see if its fermenting will hurt to see where you are, just know you waste potential beer if you do this. lol

You can leave it for for a very long time in your fermentor and it will not effect carbonation in the bottle.
the yeast will stay dormant until you add priming sugar for it to eat when you bottle it. it is this mini fermentation that carbonates the beer in your bottles.

I don't think taking one reading to see if its fermenting will hurt to see where you are, just know you waste potential beer if you do this. lol

You are right, but taking it two days in is not worth the risk of infection. You're better off looking at other signs, i.e. bubbling airlock, krausen building, than checking the gravity. Better to keep it closed.

If you guys are wondering, I did another hydrometer test on my batch and did my own taste sample today, a week after I brewed and pitched the yeast on the batch. Looked great sitting at 1.006 FG and looked.....well..... GREAT! I'm getting kinda antsy on getting my first batch to be done so I went ahead and bottled, that went great as well. Now to wait another week or I might give it a taste for my birthday this coming weekend. So far I'm VERY satisfied with my first batch. Guess I'll see how I like it after it carbs up. :mug:

P.S. Also just brewed up another batch, let me say it went A LOT smoother than the first batch. This one I will let sit for more than a week now that I know I have a trustworthy lid. My previous lid was leaking causing no action on my airlock so I ask my local bar if they could get me a lid and it's a beauty. ::tear::

Dang man that's awesome! I took another reading this past weekend (7 days) and was down to 1.016-1.012. Tasted good. IF I can find the time this weekend I will try to do a new batch. Thinking i'll give it 3 weeks to ferment... see if the extra time can clean itup a bit more.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how much of a difference it will make sitting in the fermenter longer. Also didn't make this batch as strong, forgot to do a hydrometer test on it before pitching the yeast but I'm sure It's around 5%.

Mine came in at about 6% when i messured this weekend. We'll see how it comes out this weekeknd.

Looking like I will need to do a secondary since I want to add in the whisky/vanilla beans... ugh. Was hoping to brew another batch this weekend instead of racking to move to a secondary! Hoping it'll be bottled/conditioned by first of december!

Back