My first barrel aged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoserbrau

Reaction score
My wife surprised me with a new 5-gallon white oak barrel for my birthday. I have decided to go ahead and funk it up with a sour beer, and I will use this vessel primarily for aging sour ales.

I brewed up a Sour Ginger Apricot Ale from a recipe kit that I slightly modified from AHS. I replaced their peach flavoring with apricot and I replaced their Persica Ale yeast with White Labs Belgian Sour Mix (yeasties and beasties).

It sat in the primary for 10 days until it finished bubbling. I put it in the secondary for clarifying for a week before I racked it into the barrel (it's been there for a week now). It was amazingly clear and already had some decent tartness to it (due to the acid malt and sour mix) when I put it in the barrel. I didn't put the apricot flavoring in until I racked it to the barrel, so I expect it to get a little more tart/sweet once that takes hold.

My question is this: how long should I expect to keep it in the barrel? I've read some people say that it should stay at least 3 months to age, and others say that it can easily be "over-oaked" in 1 week.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on what I should do for this batch or better practices for my next batch?

kZZRBLC.jpg

Keep it in there until it's tasting up to your standards then rack it accordingly. Maybe look into picking up a ph meter.

Keep it in there until it's tasting up to your standards then rack it accordingly. Maybe look into picking up a ph meter.

That's what I was thinking about doing, but I don't know how often I should be checking it. If it's going to take longer than a few weeks, I shouldn't be pulling samples every day (but if it will only take a week or 2, maybe I should pull more samples).

Latest posts

Back