My first bad brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeUp

Reaction score
A three day weekend? That sounds like the perfect time to brew...except I am spending most of it at my parents house. That's ok, I can brew there! My Dad always takes an interest in my hobbies and after tasting some of my brews, he wanted to be part of the process. What a perfect opportunity!

Except...my efficiency was only 60%. I do BIAB, but usually hit 75%. My OG was supposed to be 1059, but only hit 1046...ugh.

It took forever for the wort to come to a boil on their gas stove (I never have a problem in my apartment). Not a big deal, but a pain in the butt.

Then, while putting on the airlock, the rubber seal on my ale pail fell into the bucket! I had to sanitize my arm and reach in to get it out!

Worst part is, I couldn't RDWHAHB since I was at my parents. The only beer they had...Corona :(

Hope everyone's Labor Day brews went better.

Sorry man! I would have left it in the fermenter and used another. I learned my lesson on this. I sanitize the lid and grommet. Then I add the grommet on the lid and resanitize. I dip the airlock in the starsan to lube it up before attempting to place it on the lid. I'm sure your brew will be fine!

I would have left it in, but I was at my parents and only brought the equipment I thought I needed. I had no other way to seal the bucket and am not going back to my place until tomorrow. The grommet was sanitized, so it shouldn't affect the beer.

I just thought of something I learned in the Marines for a "sucking chest wound"... you take a piece of plastic and place it over the "hole" then tape down 3 sides.. this allows air to exist but does not allow air to enter the "hole" lol. This would apply to the human body as well as fermenter.. hmm maybe I should patent something lol

You took your brewing equipment, and no beer?

Next time you brew away from home just take a solid lid. Chill it as low as it will go, and seal it up. Pitch the yeast when you get it home.

I brewed at Rogue's hop yard yesterday during Hop Madness. It survived the 24 hour wait, and three hour drive just home fine.

Back