My first attempt at homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franknferter

Reaction score
This Christmas my brother and sister got me everything I needed to make my very first beer. This is something that I have been wanting to do for the past year, however the significant other was reluctant to allow me to. But alas she no longer had a choice as I now had everything.

After spending a good week or so reading books and browsing r/homebrewing and the homebrew forums I felt that I had a firm grasp on the concepts and the steps that were required to make my first batch. So I decided that on my next day off from work I would invite a friend over to help out with the process.

The kit was a West Coast IPA from Southern Brewing and Winemaking in Tampa. Six bags of hops for a total of 6oz, 8lbs of malts, liquid and dry, and a 1lb of grains. It was a lot of stuff.

Long story short we were aiming for an original gravity of 1.066 and achieved a 1.065 and didn't have a boil over and managed to get from boiling to 75 degrees in 22 minutes. And to top it all off it is sitting in a tub of water at a health 65 degrees for fermentation.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Update: I am just going to keep updating this so as not to make too many threads. Its been just over a week since I pitched the yeast and watched like a child on Christmas eve to see if there were bubbles. By the next morning the airlock was bubbling away, however the next day it was going crazy. But after my 8 days waiting period it was finally time to crack that sucker open and take a gravity reading to see where I am at, and to find out if my sanitation techniques were up to par.

LRnFQ.jpg

All in all everything is looking great. I used a measuring cup to pull the sample after i made sure it was clean and sanitized. After checking the gravity it is higher than than the projected gravity, but it still has at least a week of primary until it is time to bottle, but it tastes really good so far.

projected final gravity 1.017
current gravity 1.019

Yep! I started my first brew Nov, 2011. It turned out great. I'm sure yours will too. One thing I've learned reading these forums is to be patient. My first batch is still maturing and it seems to get better every day. Sounds like you have the bug! Good luck!

That's awesome Frank! I'm sort of in your boat as well, been doing A LOT of reasearch before I jump right in. Can't wait to get started though. I live in Tampa actually. How do you like Southern brewing?

Also out if curiosity did you do a full boil and if so what is your set up consist of?

Cheers! :mug:

Funny story I'm originally from Tampa and am currently in Tallahassee.

It was a full boil. Had to steep some grains first then add the malts both dry and liquid. then 60min of hop additions. I managed to get the temp down really fast because I filled my sink with cold water then put a 10lb bag of ice in it for almost the entire time I was boiling. I took a temp reading of the water, just out of curiosity, and it was around 40 degrees.

As Far as equipment, it is pretty much your standard beginners kit. 5 gallon brew pot two 6 gallon buckets.

This was a gift from my family so I didn't personally visit the store. From what I understand the person my brother was talking to at southern brewing was very patient and understanding with all of his questions.

update: it is currently in a "swamp cooler" type of rig to help maintain temperature during fermentation. It's hovering between 62-66 degrees. I am a little concerned because it is supposed to hit 30 some odd degrees on Friday. Suggestions as to prevent a major drop in temperature are welcome.

You did a full boil in a 5 gallon kettle? Was it a 2.5 gallon recipe?

Also, about the low temps, I've seen some threads on here about adding an aquarium heater to the swamp cooler. Hopefully someone who has one can elaborate...

Congratulations! I wouldn't worry too much about the drop in temperature unless it's going to be several days. Water changes temperature slower than air, and ales can still handle some pretty low temps. That said, if you're really worried about it or it does get very cold, perhaps an aquarium heater is good. Still, I bet if you check the temperature it won't change much.

Update: I am just going to keep updating this so as not to make too many threads. Its been just over a week since I pitched the yeast and watched like a child on Christmas eve to see if there were bubbles. By the next morning the airlock was bubbling away, however the next day it was going crazy. But after my 8 days waiting period it was finally time to crack that sucker open and take a gravity reading to see where I am at, and to find out if my sanitation techniques were up to par.

First gravity check and sample of the ipa. I think it's delicious - Lightbox

All in all everything is looking great. I used a measuring cup to pull the sample after i made sure it was clean and sanitized. After checking the gravity it is higher than than the projected gravity, but it still has at least a week of primary until it is time to bottle, but it tastes really good so far.

projected final gravity 1.017
current gravity 1.019

Back