My first attempt at a wee heavy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de5m0mike

Reaction score
UK Maris Otter 16.50 lb — 92.5 %
US Carapils Malt 0.25 lb — 1.4 %
UK Roasted Barley 0.25 lb — 1.4 %
US Caramel 120L Malt 0.25 lb — 1.4 %
UK Dark Crystal 0.25 lb — 1.4 %
Belgian Special B 0.25 lb — 1.4 %
UK Peated Malt 0.09 lb — 0.5 %

UK Fuggle 2.00 oz — First Wort Hopped

90 min mash at 160ºF
2 hour boil

My question is do you think I need the Carapils or will I get enough foam stability/mouth feel from the 160º mash?

Id ditch the peated malt and use a the wyeast scottish ale yeast and make sure you do a kettle caramelization. Pull the first gallon and boil it down to a pint then pull the rest of your volume and boil as usual

Id ditch the peated malt and use a the wyeast scottish ale yeast and make sure you do a kettle caramelization. Pull the first gallon and boil it down to a pint then pull the rest of your volume and boil as usual

Yeah sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry when I originally posted this and left out a few details. I do plan to use Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. I was also planning on pulling about 2 gallons to boil down to about a pint. Is that too much? Should I pull out less? For the peated malt, I kind of wanted to loose it too, but I'm splitting this batch with a buddy and he really wants to try it. We did err on the low side with only 1.5 oz so hopefully it will be very subtle.

Back