How does this recipe look for my first experiment with oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nreed

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've created a recipe for the first time and just looking for some feedback as it's my first time using flaked oats and putting hops together.

I'm trying to create something that's sessionable but with some decent body to it, low IBU and a nice tropical/citrus flavour.

The 2nd chinook edition will just be at flame out until the temp reduces to 76C when I do the 30g hop whirlpool for 30 mins before bringing down to pitching temp.

I've not gone mental with the dry hopping as I understand this can cause oxidation issues.

This will be for a 10l batch which I will bottle (kegging will have to wait until my bonus comes in!).

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.54 L
Post Boil Volume: 11.40 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 L
Bottling Volume: 8.86 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
1.93 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 93.8 % 1.26 L
0.13 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 2 6.2 % 0.08 L
0.25 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 3 - -
2.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 2.4 IBUs -
8.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min, 9 Hop 5 10.0 IBUs -
10.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 29.0 min, 7 Hop 6 3.0 IBUs -
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 29.0 min, 76. Hop 7 3.9 IBUs -
10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 29 Hop 8 3.9 IBUs -
0.5 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast 9 - -
10.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - 7.0 Days Into Primary for 7. Hop 10 0.0 IBUs -
10.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - 7.0 Days Into Primary for 7.0 Hop 11 0.0 IBUs -
10.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - 7.0 Days Into Prima Hop 12 0.0 IBUs -

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, unless its increase the Mosaic (I only have 20g left..)

Specifically in regards to the oats, I think your amount is fine, but you might even boost to 10% if you want to test it out as an ingredient. Also, if you haven't purchased ingredients already, I would just use grocery store quick oats (porridge). The one minute kind, without any other ingredients added. They are essentially the same thing and usually cost a lot less compared with flaked oats from the LHBS.

Specifically in regards to the oats, I think your amount is fine, but you might even boost to 10% if you want to test it out as an ingredient. Also, if you haven't purchased ingredients already, I would just use grocery store quick oats (porridge). The one minute kind, without any other ingredients added. They are essentially the same thing and usually cost a lot less compared with flaked oats from the LHBS.

Thanks for the tips - my wife makes granola so we have a lot of rolled oats in the house which saves a trip to find a LHBS. I'll up my quantitiy to get the full experience! I've read I may need to do a separate mash for the oats - is that right/neccessary?

Thanks for the tips - my wife makes granola so we have a lot of rolled oats in the house which saves a trip to find a LHBS. I'll up my quantitiy to get the full experience! I've read I may need to do a separate mash for the oats - is that right/neccessary?

No need for a separate mash as long as you use the 1 minute quick oats. They are pre-gelatinized due to the way they are processed, which means they can be added directly to your main mash. The high diastatic power of 2 Row is essential to help them convert from starch to sugar.

Back