my first all grain biab recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonMount

Reaction score
i am going to do an all grain biab 1 gallon batch and here is the recipe ive came up with:

1lb 8.9 oz 2 row pale
10.6 oz crystal 40L
.25 oz centennial 60min
.25 oz simcoe 20min
.25 oz centennial 5min
.25 oz centennial 1min
.36 columbus dry hopped 7 days

mashed for 75 minutes at 152

what do u guys think? this is my first post, so let me have it! thanks

Lets make all the grain amounts in ounces. Your 2 row would then be 24.9 ounces. it has been suggested a number of times on HomeBrewTalk that you should limit the Crystal malts to no more than 10% of the grains. Let me do some quick calculation....10% of 24.9 would be about 2.5 ounces of Crystal. What do you think of your recipe?

Well, you are going to have a hoppy beer. ~90 IBUs, and the later hop additions are really going to give you a heavy hop taste.

That being said, if you are into big hop beers, then go for it.

As for your malt profile, 30% of your grain bill is crystal malt. While there is no official rule out there that determines how much crystal should be in your recipe, 30% is the highest I have heard of. Although, some people use as much as 20% and report good results (http://hbd.org/brewsandviews/messages/20001/21227.html?1080512319). But who knows, maybe you'll want some extra sweetness to balance out that hop bitterness.

Lets make all the grain amounts in ounces. Your 2 row would then be 24.9 ounces. it has been suggested a number of times on HomeBrewTalk that you should limit the Crystal malts to no more than 10% of the grains. Let me do some quick calculation....10% of 24.9 would be about 2.5 ounces of Crystal. What do you think of your recipe?

Ultimately, I agree with this.

i really appreciate the responses, i change the hops but the grains were a 5 gallon recipe on this site that i scaled down using beer smith. but i agree with you now that it was pointed out, and im goin to scale down the crystals some. thanks a lot guys

Back