My first AG Brew - A Double Header!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedward

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first AG brew yesterday and ended up pulling an all-nighter doing two brews. I probably tempted fate with the many variables (DYI MLT, water filter system, new false bottom kettle, venturi air tube, and BM's Hybrid Sparge) and two recipes back to back.

I started around 5 PM - I was struggling to get things prepped for the MLT and ended up finishing the first around 10:30 PM. I started #2 around 11:30 and finished around 5:30 AM. But it was fun!

Most of the goodies used were from ideas shared here - so thanks to the folks that shared!

I hit the numbers well on #1 - BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde but on the second - BM Three Crop Cream I had trouble with the temps. Got tired and forgot to preheat the MLT.

But - things went well:

My setup:
DSC00105_29.jpg

Great kettle with false bottom - smooth boil but maybe too small (8 Gallon):
DSC00108_32.jpg

Great aeration (pump/airstone and venturi tube):
DSC00114_38.jpg

Obligatory Brew (5 of these by the end):
DSC00106_30.jpg

Lots of fun - can't wait to taste it all...

Thanks to all who helped!

I've done it starting that late, but I did it more staggered than back to back. I used my old 4 gallon kettle and the stove top to supplement (sparge water & strike water on batch 2). Really becomes a juggling act.

Yeah I was delayed a week trying to figure out the MLT conversion. I was anxious to brew and planned on Sat & Sun - then ran into more trouble on the copper tubing.
Plus I have a deadline to drink these puppies on 3/14 for my St. Paddy's Party with two other ales. Tiring as hell but it was fun!

Back