My first adventurer into kegging - success -sort of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
First I want to thank all you guys for your help.

Things were not smooth for my first adventure but I rate it as a success for needed to do a quick carb for a beer fest in 3 days.

Kegerator was all ready,
Pit beer into cornie which was MUCH easier then bottling two cases.

Got all the equipment ready and hooked everything up for 36 hours of 30 psi.

Checked 12 hours later and tank was empty! CRAP!! LEAK and it was now Saturday.

Friends owns a drive in and he had 12, 75lb tanks (they cost him $16 to fill).

Hooked it up Sunday morning, CHECKED FOR LEAKS, and put 30psi for about 24.

refilled my 2, 5lb tanks and dropped pressure to 10psi (beer is ay 40 degrees) and stressed for 2 days looking for leaks and finding none. I WAS worried when tanked pressure dropped immediately but then steadied and did not budge so I think it was just the initial 2 cornie fill with CO2 that did it.

Tonight I wanted to see how things were so I hooked out the "out" and poured a small glass.

YIKES - it's freaking perfect!! HOLY COW!!

Now my question is - I'm raising the temp to 45 and I think I'll lower the PSI to more like 9ish. Anything else I need to do? I figure at 9psi and 45 degrees that will give me 2vols, am I doing that correctly?

I think my ultra basic question was - if it is carbonated there is nothing more to do for serving? Just keep it as is?

I think my ultra basic question was - if it is carbonated there is nothing more to do for serving? Just keep it as is?

Nothing more to do as far as carbonation.

Draw a pint or two to clear out any sediment in the bottom of the keg. Do this before you drive the keg to it's destination. Then, get the keg to the festival as early as possible to let things settle from the drive over, before you have to start serving. Keep the keg cold.

Brew on :mug:

Back