My fermentation stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akhomebrew

Reaction score
My all grain ipa was going like crazy for about 2 days after pitching the yeast then stopped. I thought it may be troob bc temp was good. So I re-racked and now it has stopped completely? Not even any foam or anything on top. Anyone know why? Should I pitch more yeast? Bottle? Toss?

Have you read much on this forum? I'll bet this subject comes up at least 10 times a week.

Your beer is fine, the yeast know more than you do about fermenting and your beer isn't ready to bottle yet. Let is sit for another week and a half to 2 weeks and check with your hydrometer again.

My first reading was 1.040. And no I haven't read a whole lot here, I'm new to it. Just though I'd ask. It just seems like nothing is happening with my beer.

My first reading was 1.040. And no I haven't read a whole lot here, I'm new to it. Just though I'd ask. It just seems like nothing is happening with my beer.

So the reading right now is 1.020? What is your expected FG? And by "my first reading" do you mean that before you pitched your yeast your OG was 1.040?

Yeast doesn't always show what it is doing by putting out CO2. Once the fast part of the ferment has ceased it continues to break down other compounds than sugars and there isn't any real good sign that they are doing anything but they really are.

Back