My dumbest move yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
So I was brewing, and needed to add the LME. So I moved the brew kettle off of the burner to a cool one so I didn't scorch the LME. Guess where to put down the bag of LME so I could cut it open. Yup right on the hot burner. :eek: No idea why. At least I saved it. Burnt a small hole in the bag so I just lifted it over the brew kettle and let it drain. I can't believe I did that :confused:

So I was brewing, and needed to add the LME. So I moved the brew kettle off of the burner to a cool one so I didn't scorch the LME. Guess where to put down the bag of LME so I could cut it open. Yup right on the hot burner. :eek: No idea why. At least I saved it. Burnt a small hole in the bag so I just lifted it over the brew kettle and let it drain. I can't believe I did that :confused:

I did something similar. I turned off the heat to add the LME & DME. A full hour later I was frustrated as my wort wasn't even close to boil temps. That's when I realized I had not turned the burner back on. That stretched a extract timeline into the all grain range of brew times. So much for a short brew that Sunday.

There's a thread here where I documented my screw ups. There are many. Reminds me of that commercial that says we're human, the lady opens her door, a truck drives by and rips it off the hinges. LOL

I recommend you go with jugs of LME. 10x easier to open the jug, pour with one hand, and stir with the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, at least I am not the only one with a bad day.

I built a steel brewstand. Used if for the first time and things were going great. Never occurred to me that metal conducts heat pretty well. I went to reach around the brewstand and put my entire left arm on the stand for support. I heard a sizzle. It was my arm. Sucker was hot! I burned my entire arm.

Too much beer + Fire = Bad! :D

My advise is to use a stainless steel mixing bowl to add your extract. The steam always makes a mess of the extract by gumming it all up in the bag anyways. Pour it all into a stainless steel mixing bowl, use the mixing bowl to dump it in. When you are done with all your additions you just dunk the bowl in the kettle till you rinse all the gummy extract off. Works great for me.

I think I got you beat. My last brew day I had my big 8 gallon aluminum pot on my glass stovetop. After the boil I moved the pot to my sink to chill and noticed a large crack on the glass cooktop. I now have to buy a new range because parts aren't available to replace the cooktop. I think I'm gonna name my double IPA "Shattered Glass IIPA"
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393731595.705892.jpg

I built a steel brewstand. Used if for the first time and things were going great. Never occurred to me that metal conducts heat pretty well. I went to reach around the brewstand and put my entire left arm on the stand for support. I heard a sizzle. It was my arm. Sucker was hot! I burned my entire arm.

Too much beer + Fire = Bad! :D

Ouch

I think I got you beat. My last brew day I had my big 8 gallon aluminum pot on my glass stovetop. After the boil I moved the pot to my sink to chill and noticed a large crack on the glass cooktop. I now have to buy a new range because parts aren't available to replace the cooktop. I think I'm gonna name my double IPA "Shattered Glass IIPA"
View attachment 183106

Hopefully your SWMBO is not too mad.

Especially because everyone knows you have to get a whole new setup when you're brewing outside! That means a new kettle, new burner...

Depending on where you live, that might not be such a bad thing!

Salt Lake City Utah. It's been pretty nice this week, low to mid 50's. And my deck is completely covered so I can brew pretty much during any weather, as long as it's not too windy.

I am getting a bit nervous that my beer will taste like melted plastic. What do you guys think?

Back