My Cider is Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_caro

Reaction score
I am making 2 small 5 litre batches of cider. One was made using Long life non-refrigerated bottled apple juice and the other was 'fresh' (refrigerated) cartons of apple juice both same brand and both pastuerised.

I put a little more dextrose in the Long life one than the refrigerated one. Both same yeast(Notty)

The long life one cleared very quickly but the refrigerated apple juice one remains very cloudy white after 24 days. No real sign of any airlock activity any more in either.

Does the cloudiness mean it has a problem?

I purchased 5 litres of Berri fresh Apple Juice in cardboard cartons from the supermarket refrigerated section. It was right on its best before date.
I poured it into a sanitised glass container with 75gms dextrose and 2.5gms of Nottingham yeast. Put a stopper and airlock in the top and set it in an area where temperature was around 18-22°c most of the time.
I have not taken SG readings at any time with either sample. I did use less dextrose in the fresh apple juice (75 vs 200gms in the other one)

Back